16 and 18 ga extension cords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

Can someone tell me how these extension cords are allowed to be sold? I was in a home today where they used electric space heaters in every room that were plugged into 16 ga extension cords. I told them you shouldn't plug those heaters into extension cords but if you have no choice buy a heavy guage extension cord that is 12 gauge. I unplugged one and showed her the melted end of the cord and told her this cord is not rated to carry this much current. I said how long do you run these? She said pretty much all day and when i'm at work I leave it on low:eek:

They should ban these cords all together.

iwire

Staff member
Why not expect people to suffer the consequences of not following the directions sent with the heater and likely the cord?

KVA

Why not expect people to suffer the consequences of not following the directions sent with the heater and likely the cord?

Because we all know everyone reads directions on an extension cord:lol:

This is not the first case I've seen melted extension cords I've seen lots of AC units plugged into this death traps. Why is it so hard to make cords a minimum of 14 ga to match the smallest circuit in a house?

Well i just looked up that UL no longer approves 18 ga cords but they do for 16ga which is good for 13 amps.

iwire

Staff member

This is not the first case I've seen melted extension cords I've seen lots of AC units plugged into this death traps. Why is it so hard to make cords a minimum of 14 ga to match the smallest circuit in a house?

So because some people are stupid I should have to run a 12 or 14 AWG extension cord for a table lamp with a 13 watt CFL ?

hurk27

Well they used to have 20 awg cords, and I still see some from China at some of the stores, and I have discussed this with a friend UL that I have seen cases where the 20 awg shorted but didn't open the 20 amp breaker that was supplying the circuit, but I never knew they did stop allowing them??

but like I just said in another thread, Stupid should hurt as it sometimes it builds a little common sense.

funny thing is I just used this example in that other thread before ever seeing this thread:p

I'm with Bob on this one, we need people with more common sense not more rules that stereo type everyone which some of us have no problems with a smaller cord, I guess after something like that happening they will know not to do it again I hope.

Strife

How about banning knives? or cars? Definitely cars, people definitely use cars in a way not made for their purpose.
How about any rope that has a capacity less than 50K LBS. I'm sure there are plenty out there who tried to lift 300 lbs with a 50 lbs rope.
Sorry, but the solution is ludicrous.

Can someone tell me how these extension cords are allowed to be sold? I was in a home today where they used electric space heaters in every room that were plugged into 16 ga extension cords. I told them you shouldn't plug those heaters into extension cords but if you have no choice buy a heavy guage extension cord that is 12 gauge. I unplugged one and showed her the melted end of the cord and told her this cord is not rated to carry this much current. I said how long do you run these? She said pretty much all day and when i'm at work I leave it on low:eek:

They should ban these cords all together.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

I got to do some work in an attic where the HO wired a receptacle with #14 NM-B and and ran an air conditioner off of it. It caught the attic on fire and nearly burned the house down. Should we not allow #14 at all because someone may use it incorrectly?

templdl

My son learned a very important less. The assumption when using any cord is that it is considered to be in open air and as such can dissipate heat. Quite often you may feel a cord that is lying in open air and it may feel worm to the touch as it should. Take that cord an cover it up in a way that it isn't allowed to dissipate the heating and the heat will build up to aa point where it can get very hot.
Now, back to my son who was out in the garage with my Milwaukee heat gun plugged into my overhead retractable light with a power outlet retracted just long enough for what his needs were. No fire but it melted the cord that remained inside the real together.
And don't forget those portable extension cords that come on a real that as an outlet on the real. It is very tempting to just pull out just enough length for your need and if the amp draw is high enough..........
It is most important to note that ampacity of a cord is rated for an open air application.

Status
Not open for further replies.