Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure this has been discussed before but if I am installing three way switches and power is going to the fixture first, will it be acceptable not having a neutral in the box with the switches? I want to use NEC 2011.
Thank you in advance,
Joe

stickboy1375

I am sure this has been discussed before but if I am installing three way switches and power is going to the fixture first, will it be acceptable not having a neutral in the box with the switches? I want to use NEC 2011.
Thank you in advance,
Joe

Not 100% sure, but I believe you need a grounded conductor once you enter 2011. You can just run 14-4 or 12-4 to accomplish this.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What's the application? Is there accessibility from above or below after the installation?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the code section

(C) Switches Controlling Lighting Loads. Where switches control lighting loads supplied by a grounded general purpose branch circuit, the grounded circuit conductor for the controlled lighting circuit shall be provided at the switch location.
Exception: The grounded circuit conductor shall be permitted to be omitted from the switch enclosure where either of the following conditions in (1) or (2) apply:
(1) Conductors for switches controlling lighting loads enter the box through a raceway. The raceway shall have suffıcient cross-sectional area to accommodate the extension of the grounded circuit conductor of the lighting circuit to the switch location whether or not the conductors in the raceway are required to be increased in size to comply with 310.15(B)(3)(a).
(2) Cable assemblies for switches controlling lighting loads enter the box through a framing cavity that is open at the top or bottom on the same floor level, or through a wall, floor, or ceiling that is unfinished on one side.

I am a high school instructor. I live in the state of Texas and I know Texas has adopted NEC 2011. This question about the three way switch and power running through the fixture first and a neutral in the switch boxes came up today. I have used this forum before to answer some questions so I thought I would get everyones input on this one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As a side note, I've been doing so much Radio Ra 2 installs, I've been in a habit of just doing this type of wiring just to make my life easier...

I do also. I rarely have dead end three ways so I just feed one 3 way and switch leg out of the other. Doesn't affect what we do that much.

97catintenn

I am a high school instructor. I live in the state of Texas and I know Texas has adopted NEC 2011. This question about the three way switch and power running through the fixture first and a neutral in the switch boxes came up today. I have used this forum before to answer some questions so I thought I would get everyones input on this one.

You have to switch the ungrounded conductor.

404.2 Switch Connections.
(A) Three-Way and Four-Way Switches. Three-way and
four-way switches shall be wired so that all switching is
done only in the ungrounded circuit conductor
. Where in
metal raceways or metal-armored cables, wiring between
switches and outlets shall be in accordance with 300.20(A).
Exception: Switch loops shall not require a grounded
conductor.

stickboy1375

You have to switch the ungrounded conductor.

404.2 Switch Connections.
(A) Three-Way and Four-Way Switches. Three-way and
four-way switches shall be wired so that all switching is
done only in the ungrounded circuit conductor
. Where in
metal raceways or metal-armored cables, wiring between
switches and outlets shall be in accordance with 300.20(A).
Exception: Switch loops shall not require a grounded
conductor.

Not what he meant...

Status
Not open for further replies.