Dedicated Space above a Residential Panel. Conflicting Answers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

etbrown4

I posted this on another forum and got some conflicting answers. See what you think.

Installing a residential panel at a new location on a basement wall. Some guys have said that there might be a problem with a plumbing pipe which runs parallel to the intended panel mounting wall, at 80" above the floor and a foot in front of the proposed panel location. As far as I know it does not intrude into the working space as it's above 6'6". If so, there is no working space conflict.

On Dedicated Space, the code apparently says "The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the
floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the [FONT=inherit !important]electrical installation
http://www.electriciantalk.com/#.[/FONT]
" I've thought that meant a restricted area above a residential panel, in the form of a virtual shaft or box, typically measuring about 4"x16" and usually extending to the ceiling.

This handy little diagram seems to comply with the section regarding dedicated space. But just to the width and depth of a panel.
http://www.iaei.org/magazine/2002/01...uipment-space/

I
t would be helpful to see what guys here think as to whether there seems to be a conflict with Dedicated Space requirements.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The way I read it is that if the panel is say 4" deep and 14.5" wide then carry that distance straight up to 6' above the top of the panel or to the structural ceiling. If there is anything in that space then there is an issue. If there is a plumbing pipe in the space above this dedicated space then you would have to install a drip pan.

In your example I do not see a problem.

cadpoint

Welcome to this forum!

I?m going to say you answered your own question with the dedicated space paragraph.

If you always remember that the top of the can up is yours till something else, I also don?t see a problem.

etbrown4

Thanks Dennis,

That's the way I read it to.

Another electrician, trying to help, had shared his thought with me that the plumbing pipe running parallel to the panel wall, but 10" out in front of the panel, and with that pipe located above 6'6" that there was an incursion into the Dedicated Space. I just can't see how!
The top of this new panel would not be over 6'.

Gac66610

The way I read it is that if the panel is say 4" deep and 14.5" wide then carry that distance straight up to 6' above the top of the panel or to the structural ceiling. If there is anything in that space then there is an issue. If there is a plumbing pipe in the space above this dedicated space then you would have to install a drip pan.

In your example I do not see a problem.

I agree with Dennis, as long as there is nothing directly above panel you're fine
I did not know about the 6' rule, but in most residential work, there are not 6 feet above panel

Question, if the panel is located in a framed wall, covered by a wall plate, would the 6' still apply?

hurk27

I think what get confused the most is some try to combined both working space and equipment space, these are two different requirements, working space is measured from the floor to a hight of 6'6" or 78" from the floor or to the top of the equipment if it extends higher, if that pipe was 2" lower or the panel was 2" higher, it would have been in the working space.

But equipment space is only above the equipment, and this space extends to a hight of 6' above the top of the equipment or to the structural ceiling which ever is lower nether the pipe or a drip pan can be in this space.

it looks like you made it with this pipe by a mere 2" for working space

I have always found it strange that under working space requirements, it never mentions Foreign Systems like it does for equipment space, it just says it simply has to be kept clear.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Perhaps this will help you understand. Please note that this is just my opinion, but I think it is shared by others, even if it is not explicitly stated by the NEC: The "dedicated equipment space" is reserved so that you could come back later and install new conduits for new circuits. That is why it applies only to those types of equipment to which additional circuits can be installed (i.e., panels, switchboards, MCCs), and not to transfer switches, disconnect switches, or other devices that would require working space.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks Dennis,

But you must measure from the top of the panel another 6' or to the ceiling joist whichever is closer. The plane only extends the depth of the panel so a pipe running parallel to the panel wall 10" 0r 12" off the wall is fine.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks Dennis,

That's the way I read it to.

Another electrician, trying to help, had shared his thought with me that the plumbing pipe running parallel to the panel wall, but 10" out in front of the panel, and with that pipe located above 6'6" that there was an incursion into the Dedicated Space. I just can't see how!

The key here is that it is also above the working space requirement of 6' 6".

jumper

The key here is that it is also above the working space requirement of 6' 6".

Here is a pic of yours I swiped from an earlier thread

Dedicatedspace.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.