Outlet boxes in commercial walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone direct me to the code that specifies how many 110v outlet boxes can go into individual commercial wall bays?
I believe you can't place outlet boxes back-to-back in one wall (one box from one room directly in back of another box in the next room.)
I'm installing electrical for a Karoke place, and they need lots of electrical for their electronics.

One more question-where does the code specify how/if low voltage (computer cable, VGA, etc.) can share wall bays with 110v?

I am assuming NEC2011. (I just bought the new code book and am in the learning curve process.)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are the walls fire rated? If not, box away. And 120 volt cables and LV cables are permitted in the same bay, even in the same hole if you're so inclined.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Can anyone direct me to the code that specifies how many 110v outlet boxes can go into individual commercial wall bays?
I believe you can't place outlet boxes back-to-back in one wall (one box from one room directly in back of another box in the next room.)
I'm installing electrical for a Karoke place, and they need lots of electrical for their electronics.

One more question-where does the code specify how/if low voltage (computer cable, VGA, etc.) can share wall bays with 110v?

I am assuming NEC2011. (I just bought the new code book and am in the learning curve process.)

for commercial, there are thru boxes that have a device on both sides, specifically for commercial.
as long as the LV cable is not running thru a plenum without being plenum rated, it's good anywhere.

what city are you doing the work in? that can make a difference....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
IF the walls ARE fire rated, what are the limitations? Do you have the exact code?
It is found in the local building codes pertaining to the wall types/assemblies. You should find out what codes are in effect (such as the IBC or what have you) and go from there. Most times the information is included in the prints and specs.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
This job is in San Diego.

IF the walls ARE fire rated, what are the limitations? Do you have the exact code?

Thank you guys so much for your info.

To expand upon Roger's correct answer...

The NEC does not cover this issue. Your orignal question should not clarify "commercial" since the issue is with fire rated walls period. For example, in California the wall between the Garage and the interior of a house is a 1 hour rated wall assembly.

The classification of walls is dealt with in the building codes. In Florida, the Florida Building Code is the governing authority. In some states it is the International Building Code or other authority. (as a side note, the FBC for example states that the 2008 NEC is incorporated the FBC. It then modifies a couple things, like requiring 3% voltage drop. So the actual electrical code is the FBC)

Once correct governing building code is determined, then the correct wall classification is determined, then the allowable contruction standards can be researched. In both CA and Fl, the only ones I am intimately familiar with, the Building code requires "fire walls" to be a listed assembly. So, you go to the listing agency, which has always been the UL for me, and there you will find the information you seek.

Short answer, go to a gypsum board web site and do a search for rated wall assemblies. the information will come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.