Aluminum wire feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceditall

I am Inquiring about a question I have with 8 unit multi-residential apartment building. An apartment had a fire which caused damages to 5 other units. All branch wiring (from interior unit subpanels) in the 5 units required replacement. Upon inspection the feeders from the metered panels to the subpanels were found to be aluminum. The electrical contractor states all feeders are required to be upgraded and replaced.

According to the local building code (Norman Oklahoma) it states :

Sec. 5-209. Adoption of the 2008 National Electric Code.

Amend, delete or substitute within the following sections as indicated:

(1) Chapter 1, General, Article 110.5 Conductors ? Add at end of paragraph
?The use of aluminum conductors shall be prohibited except for exterior
uses and for underground service feeders for manufactured homes.?

So it appears that by City ordinance they have outlawed the use of any aluminum wiring within the interior of buildings.

My question is this. Does this mean the feeders require replacement in of itself only due to the fact they are aluminum ? Or does this mean any repairs or replacement to the "feeders" require replacment Not to be Aluminum. And if so does this require the remainder of the apartments to be brought into compliance and have all feeders removed and replaced? My thinking is the feeder wire replacement to the apartment sub-panels would be considered a code upgrade but not a code REQUIRED upgrade. Am I wrong?? :?

hurk27

This is going to depend upon what the requirements in Norman, Ok is, since they are the ones band aluminum inside, unless we have some from that area on here who might know, but I suspect this is going to be a local issue.

Welcome to the forum.

kwired

Electron manager
As has been said this is a local issue. Only persons that will have any useful advice are those in the local area that know of the local rules.

NEC wise this is not an issue at all as long as conductors were properly selected for ampacity and insulation type.

Status
Not open for further replies.