Generator tap box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrvazzer

Can someone help me. A generator tap box is located for the purpose of bringing a Food Store to life again after a storm. So rather than renting a portable gen and runing cables all over the floor back to the main board disconnecting the mains and connecting the generator cables. This box is already connected to the main board via taps and all the genrator company have to do is plug into the tap box near the loading doc with camlocks and open the main brker and away she blows.
The question is can you connect the conductor via conduit say 100' right to the main board without a disconnect means?
The main board is rated 2500A the conductors for the generator tap box is 800A. The tap box is kirk key with the MCB at the board.
This feeder is only used when their is a power failure the rest of the time is connectd hot to the tap box.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Assuming the 2500 amp main is one of breakers with kirk-key control... what is the other ?
(It would seem the other kirk-key controlled breaker would be the one connected to the gennerator supply)

MEP_PM

Cam locs are a means of disconnect, the breaker on the genset is a means of disconnect.

I see no issue.

What about overloading the feeder? Depending on the actual building load, you could have a problem if a 2Meg Rental shows up and the building load is over 800amp.

iwire

Staff member
What about overloading the feeder? Depending on the actual building load, you could have a problem if a 2Meg Rental shows up and the building load is over 800amp.

My bet is that the breaker for the tap box at the main board is an 800 amp.

jrvazzer

gen tap box

gen tap box

I don't think so, he said he has a Kirk Key set up at the switchboard.

Assuming the 2500 amp main is one of breakers with kirk-key control... what is the other ?
(It would seem the other kirk-key controlled breaker would be the one connected to the gennerator supply)

Their isn't a breaker at the MCB. Is just a straight tap to main bus. This generator box contains camlock connections. see brochures link. The question is, that tap is 800A, the gen tap box is kirk key with MCB. the 800A feeder is not protected, does it need protection?
Is only active when the genrator is plug in, but is live all the time in conduit. I perferred to install a 800a braker and use it has a backfeed but it is not in the budget.
Thanks, for your quick response.

http://www.bertholdelectric.com/gusBerthold/pdf/BE_PrtGenBrch.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.