NM derating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It depends-- not sure why you would run nm in a pipe but if you are talking about a sleeve look at Note 2 to Chapter 9 in the back of the book. Also for multiconductor cable look at note 9.

Here is a PDF based on one manufacturers dimensions of nm cable

ggappa

the only reason i ask is because there are similar questions on a exam that i am taking. the reason its ran through a pvc pipe is because they are just using it as a short chase (nipple) into a panel. and the question asks how to size the pipe if nm is going through it.

jumper

the only reason i ask is because there are similar questions on a exam that i am taking. the reason its ran through a pvc pipe is because they are just using it as a short chase (nipple) into a panel. and the question asks how to size the pipe if nm is going through it.

See Dennis answer above. note 2,chap 9.

short nipples, 24" or less, are note 4. nipples are not sleeves.

Last edited:

ggappa

i know how to do pipe fill im trying to find out how to do it for nm i see what you mean about what percent to use but how do you know what value to use (approximate area in.2) for a 12/2 or a 10/3 or any nm? this is a question on the minnesota journeymans exam.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
i know how to do pipe fill im trying to find out how to do it for nm i see what you mean about what percent to use but how do you know what value to use (approximate area in.2) for a 12/2 or a 10/3 or any nm? this is a question on the minnesota journeymans exam.
I hope they don't expect you to know that info off the top of your head.

kwired

Electron manager
Proper answer is if running NM cable in a raceway you are wasting time and money by not running THHN/THWN.

If it is just a sleeve there is no maximum fill requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.