Another retorque question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I've read a number of threads on this topic but most seem to deal with retorquing a termination that had been done years prior, I'm talking about five minutes. I terminated #4 str cu at 45 in-lbs, five mins later I had to turn the wrench some before I hit the mark again, not sure why I even retorqued it, I know most say not to, I just did it. I was thinking afterwards that it maybe a better tightening procedure to do something like (Using this scenario described) torque to let's say 25 in-lbs, a min later 35 and a min after that 45. That may help squeeze and settle the strands better and give a more precise measurement than just torquing all the way to the final target in 10 seconds. What do you think of this theory?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Did you wiggle the wire as you tightened it?

I've seen wires landed and torqued up in switchgear without being wiggled(<--Does that sound too technical?:)). Inspector shows up, wiggles the wire, and proceeds to completely pull it out of the lug. FAIL!

Now I'm a believer....

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I honestly thought the original poster meant to say rhetorical question. And although it's sad, that's what I've come to expect from people on the internet. English classes seem to be failing us and it's the people that can't properly speak English that seem to have the most problem with immigrants.

I try to keep in mind that most of you are very very smart when it comes to math. So I suppose that's why I would just assume that you would know the difference between looser and loser, but so often I'm reminded that you don't.

mark32

Thanks for the replies,

mjf, I thought the same as you as I typed this up, torque in steps as you might with head bolts.

Cow, I did not wiggle the conductor after torquing it, on occasion I do but this seemed solid when I was done with it.

jay, I'm unsure what sparked your post, especially since no one used the word lose or loose but I assume that's just an example of mistakes you come across online, which I agree with. Is it because I wrote retorque? I probably should have used re-torque but other than that I don't see anything that would suggest my grammar, spelling, or syntax is not proper English, I'd like to think it's better than the average Joe.

Good god man.....is that a run on sentence I see:eek:hmy:?? Ban him from the forum!

btw, mark32, my wife told me a few months ago that somehow, somewhere, sometime along the way, it increased from 1 space to 2 spaces between sentences. (hopefully you can make the adjustment before someone complains!!)

Last edited:

mark32

Good god man.....is that a run on sentence I see:eek:hmy:?? Ban him from the forum!

Now that is funny, thanks for the laugh bro. I haven't heard of this new double spacing deal, we'll see if it catches on.

By the way, I understand where jay is coming from. I remember back when I was trying to meet girls on myspace and there would be one spelling mistake after another in their profiles, that's a turn off. You know people are going to read it but you can't be bothered to proofread it? Even when I shoot an email to a buddy I'm always mindful of spelling, punctuation, etc.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Haha, that made me laugh too. No, I wasn't really yelling that rant at you. "Retorque" is fine by me, it was actually my own assumption that led me down the grammar path. I hope I didn't offend you.

PetrosA

Not to seem rhetoricked...

Not to seem rhetoricked...

Actually it's from a double space to a single space. The double space was used between sentences on typewriters because they used monospaced fonts (every letter and space had even centers between them). Most of us use proportional fonts (like in books and magazines) on computers so you don't need a double space any more.

mivey

I only use double or more if someone is going to make hand-written marks on the printout. As far as I'm concerned, double-spacing is wasted space and is tiresome to read.

PS: Nevermind. I thought you were talking about spacing between lines. I like the double space after the period.

Last edited:
I honestly thought the original poster meant to say rhetorical question. And although it's sad, that's what I've come to expect from people on the internet. English classes seem to be failing us and it's the people that can't properly speak English that seem to have the most problem with immigrants.

I try to keep in mind that most of you are very very smart when it comes to math. So I suppose that's why I would just assume that you would know the difference between looser and loser, but so often I'm reminded that you don't.

I am sure you meant this to be a satire with your incomplete sentences and abberative sentence structure.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.