egress path in an electrical room

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Where an egress path from the room is defined by a wall and the side of a piece of equipment not requireing access. Or even between a wall and the corner of a piece of equipment. i.e. in a situation where 110's definition of work clearance does not define the space, what's the minimum width this space needs to be?

Thanks,

Mike

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The requirement is for a path for egress from the working space, not from the room. (Note: I am trying to get a long discussion started, something that can outlast the single phase thread. :happyyes: )

mshields

answers and clarifications

answers and clarifications

As it happens everything in the room is less than 1200A though I would interested in knowing what the impact would be on the discussion if a higher amperage. As for your comment Charlie, this would be one of the two paths necessary to egress from the work space in front of certain equipment.

Where an egress path from the room is defined by a wall and the side of a piece of equipment not requireing access. Or even between a wall and the corner of a piece of equipment. i.e. in a situation where 110's definition of work clearance does not define the space, what's the minimum width this space needs to be?

Thanks,

Mike

If under 1200amps the entrance must be at least 24" wide and 6'6" in high, if there is a door then there would be a host of other requirments for the contractor

mshields

how about a picture

how about a picture

Essential Electric #016.jpg

So - if my attachment works, you'll have a picture. Do you see the box labelled "1". That's a free standing ATS with bypass and what you're looking at is a proposed layout from the electrician. Obviously, the one foot of space between the corner of this ATS and one of the corners of the room is not good. And the fix is easy. We'll just move it up and over - maybe reorient it. But it got me to wondering what that corner to corner dimension could be in a similar situation.

Thanks,

Mike

If under 1200amps the entrance must be at least 24" wide and 6'6" in high, if there is a door then there would be a host of other requirments for the contractor

I'm trying to follow the question, the width of the electrical room if defined by a wall leading to the exit would have to be 36" deep from the edge of 250volt or less equipment edge to a grounded wall ie, block or wood.

mshields

110.26(C)

110.26(C)

The only reference to the 24 inch 6 1/2 ft high I see is 110.26(C) which applies to equipment 1200A and over. Is this the section you were thinking of? I'm under 1200A yet I don't find a corresponding requirement for that? At the same time, I can't imagine it being more stringent.

110.26(C)
(2) Large Equipment. For equipment rated 1200 amperes or more and over 1.8 m (6 ft) wide that contains overcurrent devices, switching devices, or control devices, there shall be one entrance to and egress from the required working space not less than 610 mm (24 in.) wide and 2.0 m (6? ft) high at each end of the working space.
A single entrance to and egress from the required working space shall be permitted where either of the conditions in 110.26(C)(2)(a) or (C)(2)(b) is met.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You only need one way to exit the working space, and you have it (i.e., the aisle between items 1, 2, and 3 and ESSJ). You could move the ATS until it touches the corner, so long as you still meet the working space rules for the side(s) that require access for working.

ron

This is a question for an architect, but here is my uninformed opinion.
IBC-2012

MEANS OF EGRESS. A continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from any occupied portion of a building or structure to a public way. A means of egress consists of three separate and distinct parts: the exit access, the exit and the exit discharge.

EXIT ACCESS. That portion of a means of egress system that leads from any occupied portion of a building or structure to an exit.

EXIT ACCESS DOORWAY. A door or access point along the path of egress travel from an occupied room, area or space where the path of egress enters an intervening room, corridor, exit access stair or exit access ramp.

The aisle space inside the electrical room is not part of the means of egress. I don't think there is an aisle width minimum if the equipment is not considered "large".

mshields

good points

good points

thanks gentlemen - yeah - I actually hadn't thought about that Ron. i.e. the fact that I only need the one door.

Status
Not open for further replies.