detached garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Minimum of one receptacle in addition to any receptacles for specific equipment is all that NEC requires - that is only if there is power in the detached garage. The receptacle does not even have to be readily accessible, so if that specific equipment is a duplex you have a specific outlet with one side of the duplex and the minimum required receptacle with the other side of the duplex.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Minimum of one receptacle in addition to any receptacles for specific equipment is all that NEC requires - that is only if there is power in the detached garage. The receptacle does not even have to be readily accessible, so if that specific equipment is a duplex you have a specific outlet with one side of the duplex and the minimum required receptacle with the other side of the duplex.

A GFCI receptacle is required to be readily accessible. :)

GerryB

cover the wire?

cover the wire?

An electrical inspector in one town in my area has told two owners of garages I wired that they had to cover the wires from the floor up to 4 feet. It didn't have to be sheetrock, it could be anything, even insulation. Is there some code for this?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
An electrical inspector in one town in my area has told two owners of garages I wired that they had to cover the wires from the floor up to 4 feet. It didn't have to be sheetrock, it could be anything, even insulation. Is there some code for this?

That must be a local requirement. Only thing you will find in the NEC is "protect wires

where suspectible to damage" or some such verbiage.

As John stated he likely felt that they could be subject to physical damage which not defined by the NEC.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the wiring method is NM...

334.10 Uses Permitted. Type NM, Type NMC, and Type
NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:
(1) One- and two-family dwellings.
(2) Multifamily dwellings permitted to be of Types III, IV,
and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12.
(3) Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V
construction except as prohibited in 334.12. Cables
shall be concealed within walls, floors, or ceilings that
provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a
15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of firerated
assemblies.

Status
Not open for further replies.