An idea for a safe install of CSST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I realize there is a thread going on about this stuff but I have a more direct question. Since CSST is insulated on the exterior of the corrugated steel why could we not use a dielectric fitting at both ends and wherever they join together. At those junctions there could be an insulated cover that would wrap around the joints.

Since this would totally isolate the CSST from being grounded wouldn't be a safer product and avoid the issue with needing to bond it at all? I may be totally off base with this but it struck me as a good idea. So simple there must be something wrong with it. :D

iwire

Staff member
I would go with just eliminating CSST.:cool:

I guess the dielectric fitting would have to be huge to isolate the pipe from the high voltage of lightning.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would go with just eliminating CSST.:cool:
I would also but not necessarily going to happen

I guess the dielectric fitting would have to be huge to isolate the pipe from the high voltage of lightning.
That is something I did not really think about. Not sure what that would take. Aren't the new lines plastic??

Gac66610

I stop a plumbing inspector and talk to him, plumber used that black counterstike, i know the inspector.... so i wasn't pickin an argument(well i was but as a friend he humored me)
I told him it didnt need bonding... well a LOUD B.S. came from him and off we went ... lol

anyway we started talking about the CSST he said whats the main issue is(there are many) from lightning its following flues down from atop houses and since the CSST is normally run close to the trunk lines its makes the jump to the CSST causing the pitting,

my dad once told me they use to bond the I beams that went through the basement, true or false i dont know have never seen it, just got me thinking

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I realize there is a thread going on about this stuff but I have a more direct question. Since CSST is insulated on the exterior of the corrugated steel why could we not use a dielectric fitting at both ends and wherever they join together. At those junctions there could be an insulated cover that would wrap around the joints.

Since this would totally isolate the CSST from being grounded wouldn't be a safer product and avoid the issue with needing to bond it at all? I may be totally off base with this but it struck me as a good idea. So simple there must be something wrong with it. :D

Well, I guess that's a thought. It would mean being diligent to have a dialectric union at every appliance, etc and maybe a continuity test to prove that the CSST is not grounded at any point. This sounds better to me than bonding as I don't believe that bonding will prevent the perferation issue in a lightning strike.

I have another question.....how come we don't see this perferation problem on the cheap resi. grade flex connections at appliances? Are they not similar to CSST?

hurk27

Well, I guess that's a thought. It would mean being diligent to have a dielectric union at every appliance, etc and maybe a continuity test to prove that the CSST is not grounded at any point. This sounds better to me than bonding as I don't believe that bonding will prevent the perforation issue in a lightning strike.

I have another question.....how come we don't see this perforation problem on the cheap resi. grade flex connections at appliances? Are they not similar to CSST?

I think you missed post 2?

If lightning can flow thousands of feet through the air, a small dielectric fitting is not going to stop it, mater of fact it might just create another arc point.

I agree this stuff needs to be band, but as most of know, it won't happen over night, we are talking about closing an industry that may or may not have any other products, that would be putting many people out of work, not a position the government would want to be in right now.

So it will take years of testing, hopefully with lightning experts (like the University of Florida) and maybe be some test at camp Blanding that would give the government enough incentive to remove this product from the market place.

All I can say is it's going to be a long road ahead.
Just cover your back's and maybe even some advice from a good attorney is in order in light of the law suits that have already happened?

mike7330

I stop a plumbing inspector and talk to him, plumber used that black counterstike, i know the inspector.... so i wasn't pickin an argument(well i was but as a friend he humored me)
I told him it didnt need bonding... well a LOUD B.S. came from him and off we went ... lol

anyway we started talking about the CSST he said whats the main issue is(there are many) from lightning its following flues down from atop houses and since the CSST is normally run close to the trunk lines its makes the jump to the CSST causing the pitting,

my dad once told me they use to bond the I beams that went through the basement, true or false i dont know have never seen it, just got me thinking

"from lightning its following flues down from atop houses and since the CSST is normally run close to the trunk lines its makes the jump to the CSST causing the pitting,"
Yes. the flues sticking up above the roof act as a lightning rod.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think they need to put more thought into manufacturing this stuff. For example, what would it take for them to install something like a shunt or bonding strip (similar to AC cable) while they're forming the outer coating. That way you could peel the insulation back and wrap it around a screw at a fitting similar to a bonding bushing. Sorry, I stay up nights thinking about this weird stuff.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.