Compensated Metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

Filling out a utility form for new service and it asks for totalizer load if using compensated metering. What is totalizer load? What is compensated metering?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Filling out a utility form for new service and it asks for totalizer load if using compensated metering. What is totalizer load? What is compensated metering?

Sounds like a situation with a large service with customer owned service transformer, but the metering is on the customer side. This is a setup to comensate the utiity for the xformer losses. If this is just a garden variety service, this would not apply.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Sounds like a situation with a large service with customer owned service transformer, but the metering is on the customer side. This is a setup to comensate the utiity for the xformer losses. If this is just a garden variety service, this would not apply.

You're right. Although around my area, it is most often used for transmission metering. I guess if there was a large industrial mill that had their own wires and transformers like you said, then compensated metering would be needed. Of course, I don't understand why they wouldn't primary meter in that situation...

jghrist

Totalizers and compensated metering are two different things you can have both or either without the other. As indicated by others, compensation is used to account for transformer losses when the service is on the high voltage side and metering is on the low voltage (cheaper voltage transformers). Totalizing is used where you have two meters for some reason but are billed on the basis of total load. It is particularly useful for demand metering where if you just add two demands (peak loads) together, you will get a higher value than the total demand. This is because the two demands are at different times.

Status
Not open for further replies.