2 mutifamily units on one meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayjong

2010 CEC
isn't there a section that discusses requirements for multi-family that require each unit to be
seperatly metered?

situation: duplex where one tenant is paying $300 for electric while the other pays $40.
it appears as though the WH and stove (along with a couple other circuits) might be on
the wrong meter. what (if any) section adresses this?

thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
2010 CEC
isn't there a section that discusses requirements for multi-family that require each unit to be
seperatly metered?

situation: duplex where one tenant is paying $300 for electric while the other pays $40.
it appears as though the WH and stove (along with a couple other circuits) might be on

thanks!

Is this a Canadian code question or is the first line of your post an error?

I can't tell you anything about Canadian code, I can talk NEC.

I don't know of any section that requires any specific number of meters or what is permitted to be supplied from a meter.

Other possible things come to mind. Is the panels for these duplex units accessible to both occupants? If not there is potential problems here.

2008 NEC 240.24(B):

(B) Occupancy. Each occupant shall have ready access to all overcurrent devices protecting the conductors supplying that occupancy, unless otherwise permitted in 240.24(B)(1) and (B)(2).

If the breaker for WH and range are in the other apartment this would violate that section.

If one water heater serves both apartments ... that may be more of a building code issue, it is certainly not an NEC issue as long as the breaker for it is not in the other apartment.

dana1028

2010 CEC
seperatly metered?

thanks!

Neither the CEC nor the NEC have requirements about this; however I do believe the PUC [Public Utilities Comm] has restrictions about 'sub' metering....i.e. only the utility can meter, so for a landlord to be able to accurately break down different tenant usage would require sub-metering; without sub-metering the allocation of electric use would be arbitrary and subject to other tenant protection laws. [I used to be landlord in my youth and days of illusional wealth].

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see this as "sub metering". If it were that the owner would pay one bill and have a meter for each tenant and charge them according to their individual usage - that can be an issue with public service commission, or other laws.

OP may still have something illegal here but is not because of anything in electrical codes other than maybe access to overcurrent devices like I previously mentioned. NEC doesn't even care if there is a meter - just tells us a few things we can and can't do if we have a meter - most of it related to grounding issues.

Hendrix

2010 CEC
seperatly metered?

thanks!
Are you thinking of 210.25 ?

kwired

Electron manager
Are you thinking of 210.25 ?
That is a possible violation. If the panels are in a common area and both units have access then it is not a violation it is just poor installation. This assumes OP is correct with the statement about WH and stove being on meter for other apt.

Stove is not likley to run a bill up unless somebody cooks a lot or uses it as a heating appliance. If they know it is on the other apartment meter they just may use it to heat their apartment.

kwired

Electron manager
thanks, that's it.
this is a duplex that is a converted house.
CA code, too! thanks

210.25 only applies to branch circuits. Now you may still have a violation of this section, but it has to do more with branch circuits than services or feeders which your question of the metering would be more likely to apply to.

If branch circuit for equipment in one apartment originates in the other apartment then it is clearly 210.15 violation, if that is not the case you may need to look for some other section. If the panel(s) are in common space this can be done easier without being a violation of anything NEC wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.