elevator control cabinet 'wiring'

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

So, I'm not an elevator guy, but I got a peek inside an existing elevator control cabinet, this is an existing install. The elevator guy said: 'Naa that's fine" when I asked what's up with that. I don't know how ANSI sees this but the picture says it all. I'm guessing the NEC stops at the disconnect? Looks like the black cord is factory and came up short.

Attachments

• elevator.jpg
    elevator.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

BJ Conner

Elevator Controls

Elevator Controls

Send the picture to The state elevator inspectors office and the local fire marshall.
In the meantime take the stairs.

If they don't respond -save the pictures, you may be able to sell them to a lawyer someday.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
So, I'm not an elevator guy, but I got a peek inside an existing elevator control cabinet, this is an existing install. The elevator guy said: 'Naa that's fine" when I asked what's up with that. I don't know how ANSI sees this but the picture says it all. I'm guessing the NEC stops at the disconnect? Looks like the black cord is factory and came up short.

That's nice they probably cut the ground off the cord as well..:lol:

I'll bet the elevator inspector has not seen that.

iwire

Staff member
I see no violations, I bet this is a hydraulic elevator and the cords connect to a UPS that powers the controls enough to drop the car to the bottom floor and open the doors.

nhfire77

I see no violations, I bet this is a hydraulic elevator and the cords connect to a UPS that powers the controls enough to drop the car to the bottom floor and open the doors.

Yes it is hydraulic, that sitop is a small UPS (pretty sure). I wasn't concerned with the overall workmanship, it was an extension cord plugged into the factory cord. It's an appliance extension cord (grey) that is spliced into the 120v circuit in the handy box with the gfci. That is what caught my attention, messy wiring wasn't a big deal(just not how I would leave it). That 120v circuit was for the cab lights, fan, the ups etc.
Having the cord sitting on top of the line conductor was also pretty ugly.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
That is what caught my attention, messy wiring wasn't a big deal(just not how I would leave it). That 120v circuit was for the cab lights, fan, the ups etc.
Having the cord sitting on top of the line conductor was also pretty ugly.

I have seen a bunch of these where an off the shelf UPS is added into existing hydraulic elevator controller. During a power failure it provides enough power to open the valve, lower the elevator to a floor and open the door. It keeps people from being trapped in the elevator.

Certainly it could have been done better but keeping the UPS plug in makes for easy replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.