Coil fuse in elevator control blowing out too often

Status
Not open for further replies.

templdl

Here's an update to the thread. The owner got an elevator company in to check it and it turns out the control cable in the shaft was shorting intermittently. I wouldn't have found this in a million hours, so I guess it's a good idea to bow out when you feel over your head sometimes :)

May that have caused the contactor to chatter? The cable being damaged should not had caused and over current condition in order to blow the fuse because you indicated that the fuse was in series with the coil. As such the damaged cable may have interfered with energizing the coil.
If the control circuit was intermittent and causing the coil to chatter resulting in blow fuses, I would suspect that the contacts of the contactor have been stressed to the point on almost being welded.

PetrosA

May that have caused the contactor to chatter? The cable being damaged should not had caused and over current condition in order to blow the fuse because you indicated that the fuse was in series with the coil. As such the damaged cable may have interfered with energizing the coil.
If the control circuit was intermittent and causing the coil to chatter resulting in blow fuses, I would suspect that the contacts of the contactor have been stressed to the point on almost being welded.

I didn't talk to the service people, just the owner. Chattering would make sense as the culprit from the description and it would make sense to replace the contactor too in case the contacts are damaged.

kwired

Electron manager
Open Neutral gave a valid suggestion.You gave a dumb reply.If the contactor is not fully engaged,the running coil current may exceed the fuse rating and hence this may cause the fuse blowing after some time.Check the running coil current.:dunce:

He did not give a dumb reply - he gave us what he observed. He is looking for help on what else to look for.
I have some suggestions - and I now see that some of those suggestions may have uncovered what was found in later posts. Was going to suggest looking at switches, limits, other control devices as well as wiring to them.

Just a out of left field thought, has anyone confirmed the voltage being supplied to the coil is the voltage the coil requires?

What I mean is, maybe it was the wrong coil from the start.

BTW, here I would have my ass handed to me for touching anything beyond the disconnecting means for an elevator. Can you legally work on this and if so do you want that liability?

Just saying .....

(I also second open neutrals suggestion.)

My reply to this was answered later - probably not a passenger elevator.

Here's an update to the thread. The owner got an elevator company in to check it and it turns out the control cable in the shaft was shorting intermittently. I wouldn't have found this in a million hours, so I guess it's a good idea to bow out when you feel over your head sometimes :)

Most of the time the fuse will not be last thing in circuit before the coil - if will be first thing in the circuit after the point of supply to protect conductors as well as components. He may have not made the location in circuit very clear.

templdl

He did not give a dumb reply - he gave us what he observed. He is looking for help on what else to look for.
I have some suggestions - and I now see that some of those suggestions may have uncovered what was found in later posts. Was going to suggest looking at switches, limits, other control devices as well as wiring to them.

My reply to this was answered later - probably not a passenger elevator.

Most of the time the fuse will not be last thing in circuit before the coil - if will be first thing in the circuit after the point of supply to protect conductors as well as components. He may have not made the location in circuit very clear.

With all due respect for PetrosA it's true to form that enough is included in the OP with key items unintentionally excluded to start a discussion. Then the speculation, assumptions rabbet trails begin as we make out calculated guesses at the cause of the issue. Yes, one thing that is lacking if a copy of the control circuit which I believe is a key to our suggestions as to the cause of the failure. One begins to assume while overlooking the obvious.
It would save a lot of time if most of the know information is included in the OP where it would be more likely to cut to the chase and with answers to the concern within a few replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.