taping a tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy11

im having a friendly arguement about taping a tap

i say you cant come out of a transformer install a wireway and tap 3 times.

kwired

Electron manager

Maybe - we need more details. Size/voltage/phases of transformer, primary/secondary voltage, primary overcurrent device, secondary conductor size, tap sizes and what are they tapped to.

If secondary conductor is sized for primary to secondary ratio and primary overcurrent device, it is not a tap it is a feeder - especially if a two wire secondary or a three wire delta secondary.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

I think you mean tapping a tap.

There are no provisions I'm aware of that permit tapping transformer secondary connected conductors.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

I would have to agree with you. 240.21 says "Conductors supplied under the provisions of 240.21(A) thru (H) shall not supply another conductor except through an OCPD...."

The transformer secondary conductors are supplied under the provisions of 240.21(C).

You could run three different sets of secondary conductors, one to each load, under the provisions of 240.21(C).

Last edited:

buddhakii

Is there any exception to this rule? I installed temp power for the construction trailers on the job I'm working on right now. I came out of a 480-120/208 transformer into a gutter and mounted pdb's and tapped off of those to 4 disconnects feeding the const. trailers and one construction panel. It was all inspected and passed but for future reference if it is wrong I don't want to take that chance again.

Status
Not open for further replies.