240 high leg panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcole

Hello guys and gals.

I have a 240 3ph with high leg service. Are the lighting and general use receptacles branch circuits not allowed per NEC to be in a panel that has the high leg? I had another electrician tell me this today and I have not heard this. I seem not to be able to find anything in the code. Any suggestions on where he might have come up with this?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
As long as the 120v circuits are not hooked to the high leg, 208v, not a problem.

I agree.

Just had a plumber call and say that they had burned up two 120 v pump motors. Unmarked high leg was the problem. And to tell you the truth, I didn't even know I had any buildings in town with a stinger. Just changed phases and fixed.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Hello guys and gals.

I have a 240 3ph with high leg service. Are the lighting and general use receptacles branch circuits not allowed per NEC to be in a panel that has the high leg? I had another electrician tell me this today and I have not heard this. I seem not to be able to find anything in the code. Any suggestions on where he might have come up with this?

Its a difference between what some thinks they know and what is code. The best option is to look in the code or ask here.
Or ask that electrician to show you where this is prohibited...

TobyD

It's best to put a meter to check the voltage(not a Wiggy).Actually , a few weeks ago I had the same problem.We had a exterior lighting circuit on 208v that was a 120v. fixture.When I looked at it the breaker was marked appropiately on the schedule .But, it was one slot down.So,I chalked that as a loss.It's common in one area of town here for that HIGH LEG.

renosteinke

Read the fine print on that big label on the panel cover. I'll bet you'll find the panel is listed for use on a 240v delta, but there is no mention of a 240/120 delta.

As I read it, this means you are not allowed to feed single-pole circuits from the panel.

You can, though, feed a single PHASE panel. IMO, your neutral / ground bond will be in the panel that has the OCPD for the single phase feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.