2011 NEC, Article 200.4 and system furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

liverpool

2011 NEC, Article 200.4 Neutral conductors shall not be used for more than one branch circuit, for more than one multiwire branch circuit, or for more than one set of ungrounded feeder conductors unless specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code.

Does this change affect a typical office system furniture that we used to wire as an 8 wire system (4 hots, 2 EGCs, and 2 neutrals)?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would assume that you are using one neutral with the 3 hots and the other with a single hot. In the first case you have a neutral for a multiwire circuit and in the second you have a neutral for a two wire circuit. Neither is used for more than one circuit, so there is no issue with the new code rule.

Sorry to butt in on the thread but this one pertains to a question I had. I am new to the electrical field and have LOTS of questions. Here is one of them.

So the above application with 3 ungrounded conductors to one neutral and 1 ungrounded to another neutral is code because "neither is used for another circuit".

So if there were a circuit that goes oyo receptacles on two walls and another circuit that goes to the lights of the same room. These two circuits were pulled in EMT one red and one blue with only one neutral on a three phase 120/208 system. Is this not a violation of 200.4?

Another example. Six rows of fluorescent luminaries are installed. One row pulled in black, another red, another blue on a three phase 120/208 system. Each on their own circuit Another black, red, and blue is pulled in for the final three with three grounded conductors to divide between two circuits. Is this considered a MWBC? Or does it violate 200.4?

I do understand the requirements for overcurrent devices being connected that are used for MWBC's and also for grouping of the circuits in the panel via ties. I am just trying to better understand what constitutes a MWBC.

Thanks for all your help.

RTEmagicC_CSE1203FNEC01.jpg This image was part of an article talking about NEC 200.4 that started my mind wondering if what I was seeing in the field was violation of 200.4. I do see that there are #12 grounded with a #8 ungrounded in the image. In the other post I posted with the examples all the conductors both grounded and ungrounded are #12.Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.