Noisy Ballasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a installation with (6) 2-lamp, 4' - T-8 fluorescent light fixtures in a hair salon. The noise generated by the electronic ballasts are interfering with the radio reception. The ballasts in the fixtures are Sylvania and I've tried changing them out to Triad and still no better. Anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
If it's on a MWBC you may be getting harmonics through the neutral. So I'm assuming that it's a plugged in radio.

The harmonics are there whether it is a MWBC or not. They just cause extra heating in the neutral of a MWBC because they are additive there. If you don't use MWBC they will still be additive in feeder and service neutral conductors.

The ballast and/or lamp could be providing some RF that is interfering with the radio.

kwired

Electron manager
I remember when I was a first year apprentice and the journeyman told the homeowner "Call the FCC!"

They are probably FCC compliant though. They don't have to be completely free from RFI just have to meet certain standards.

If the equipment being interfered with is inside the acceptable zones then it is of no concern to FCC.

ASK_EDDIE

FCC

FCC

If it is interfering with a licensed radio service it "could" be an FCC concern,however
theyre busy with auctioning radio spectrum for profit to cell companys.
I am a ham operator I also have the same problem in my storage building and
I've had the same problem installing a new 4' strip light in a bar, it made lines through their tv. I ask for the supply company for a better ballast .. it helped some .
I did some research there is a residential compliant ballast that is suppose to fix this
issue though I havent tried them

uwireme

Is the radio battery powered? If you get it with the radio on batteries then it really cuts down the options.

If you get the noise only when it's plugged into the wall socket...then you can most likely solve the problem by installing an RFI line filter between the radio and wall socket.

You might want to check the antenna to make sure it's making a good connection. If there is poor reception then the front end gain on the reciver is a lot higher which means it is also sucking up the RFI from the lights. You might be able to help the problem by installing a higher gain antenna outside the garage.

Or you can just go with XM radio.

cadpoint

I'd have to look at the ends of the tomstones! Maybe is was a Monday assembly...

Did you even open the lid and pop some lamps?

Was it the universal ballast from the manufactures? Like Here

Maybe it's an old story to me, you run all this work and it comes down to a foiled metal and tin wires... :D

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry I haven't replied back. I haven't been back to the job in a while. I'm going to look into the residential type ballasts and see if that works. I'll post my results. Thanks for the suggestions.

Strife

For all it worth:
Many years ago I did a troubleshooting where the customer complained that a PC screen was flickering(keep in mind we're talking TUBE monitors, that was about 17 years ago).
Anyway, after checking it out I eventually realized that the monitor wouldn't flicker when the lights (fluorescent) were off. After more checking I realized the conduit feeding the lights was RIGHT behind the monitor. I ran a new MC from the switch to the light and that solved the problem.
So might wanna check if the radio's sitting next to the feed for the lights.

I have a installation with (6) 2-lamp, 4' - T-8 fluorescent light fixtures in a hair salon. The noise generated by the electronic ballasts are interfering with the radio reception. The ballasts in the fixtures are Sylvania and I've tried changing them out to Triad and still no better. Anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks.

Bang

Is the radio battery powered? If you get it with the radio on batteries then it really cuts down the options.

If you get the noise only when it's plugged into the wall socket...then you can most likely solve the problem by installing an RFI line filter between the radio and wall socket.

You might want to check the antenna to make sure it's making a good connection. If there is poor reception then the front end gain on the reciver is a lot higher which means it is also sucking up the RFI from the lights. You might be able to help the problem by installing a higher gain antenna outside the garage.

Or you can just go with XM radio.

I second the RFI filter...that should do the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.