Exit signs with exterior lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

When are EXIT signs with 2 exterior mounted lights on them required to be installed within buildings? Is this covered in NFPA 101?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
When are EXIT signs with 2 exterior mounted lights on them required to be installed within buildings? Is this covered in NFPA 101?

Sort of. Or by the State's adopted building code. They are actually never required. What is required is light levels of 1 foot candle along the "path of egress" in NFPA 101 bug eye exit lights are one of many ways to achieve this.

WorkSafe

NFPA 101

7.10.1.2.1* Exits, other than main exterior exit doors that obviously and clearly are identifiable as exits, shall be marked by an approved sign that is readily visible from any direction of exit access.

7.10.5 Illumination of Signs.

7.10.5.1* General. Every sign required by 7.10.1.2, 7.10.1.5, or 7.10.8.1, other than where operations or processes require low lighting levels, shall be suitably illuminated by a reliable light source. Externally and internally illuminated signs shall be legible in both the normal and emergency lighting mode.

7.10.5.2* Continuous Illumination.

7.10.5.2.1 Every sign required to be illuminated by 7.10.6.3, 7.10.7, and 7.10.8.1 shall be continuously illuminated as required under the provisions of Section 7.8, unless otherwise provided in 7.10.5.2.2.

7.10.5.2.2* Illumination for signs shall be permitted to flash on and off upon activation of the fire alarm system.

It goes on further about internally/externally illuminated signs, but it's all in NFPA 101, Chpt 7.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
This typically is a building code requirement. Section 1006.3 of the IBC 2006 Edition states that egress illumination is required at exterior landings for exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits. Trips up alot of electricians in this area if they forget to quote that way.

cadpoint

I have always questioned the requirements for emergency egress lighting. It seems much more logical to put those on with the outside lighting circuit.

I've never read 101 except what I've seen here.

I don't think that emergeny lights should be on outside lights; the first things that comes to mind is that outside lights are usually have a single photo cell, granted some come with individual photo cells. Not that wiring can't be addressed accordingly.

In most cases (bare State Laws) exit signs are battery back up where the use of outside LED lend itself to
egress lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.