Lighting contactor coil draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megabust

Does a contactor coil draw amperage to close or keep closed? If so, I can not find this detailed in any product details from CutlerHammer on the CM30's.

Im only concerned because I may be controlling 12 CM30's from 1 control circuit.
(This may not be a smart question, but maybe useful to others considering I can't find the answer directly anywhere online.)

Thanks to any insight and answers!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Usually the pull in amperage is much higher than the holding amperage, I have not looked up to see what size those contactors are, but if they are the standard multipole 30 amp contactor, you should not have any problems.

Megabust

Does a contactor coil draw amperage to close or keep closed? If so, I can not find this detailed in any product details from CutlerHammer on the CM30's.

Im only concerned because I may be controlling 12 CM30's from 1 control circuit.
(This may not be a smart question, but maybe useful to others considering I can't find the answer directly anywhere online.)

Thanks to any insight and answers!

I tried to find an edit button but have failed. These are the C30CN's and are the newer 'easy' type 30 amp multipole contactors.(Up to 12 poles)
I guess tomorrow I am going to test one with a small setup to check the current draw. I've never really thought about this before, but Property Management was asking me how much they draw for his electrical expense budget.(This is a huge old mall, and I will be installing nearly 50 of these around the premises.)

Thanks ahead of time, for any information.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I tried to find an edit button but have failed. These are the C30CN's and are the newer 'easy' type 30 amp multipole contactors.(Up to 12 poles)
I guess tomorrow I am going to test one with a small setup to check the current draw. I've never really thought about this before, but Property Management was asking me how much they draw for his electrical expense budget.(This is a huge old mall, and I will be installing nearly 50 of these around the premises.)

Thanks ahead of time, for any information.
As I understand from briefly looking through associated literature, the units are field convertible from electrically held to mechanically held (perhaps an ordering option is available). The latter type only have current draw on switching contact states.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Isn't mechanically held contactor Eaton A202 simpler and cheaper and more suitable for the OP on budget?

Megabust

Isn't mechanically held contactor Eaton A202 simpler and cheaper and more suitable for the OP on budget?

I didn't price it out using the A202, however I/Property Management like the flexibility that the C30CN's give us by being able to add Pole Modules to the Coil Block without having to do much work. Also I don't have to worry as much on counting exacts per location. I can order more then enough Power Blocks, and Pole Modules and just figure it out in the field. With the A202 I would need exacts per location, thus by using the C30CN's I have less pre-work. Also each Coil Block allows up to 12 poles(C30CN), but the A202 maximum that I found was only 5 or 6 poles. Thanks for the thought though, I am always looking for other solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.