4 11/16 square box for RGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Horse, you better not be pulling my tail :)

Locknuts on either side of the box sandwitch the box, holding the pipe firm. Bushing to protect the wires from the end of the pipe.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I sense your frustration and hope you understand that I responded to you respectfully. Sorry Horsegoer, but I do feel that this particular question is probably the worst one you have asked. I see an additional post by you and will back up Cow here and tell you to ask any of your 2nd year apprentices working for the Company for this answer. They should all know!

The way he asked may have been bad, but his question was not a bad one. A second year apprentice is not likely to know every way there is to run and connect rigid conduit. I know residential journeymen that don't have a clue to what a Meyer's hub is and probably have never heard of one.

Would have he drawn less ire if he simply asked how many different ways there are to connect rigid to stamped boxes?

I even left out one that I have used several times. I wonder if anyone here can add some more (compliant) ways to connect rigid conduit to a box and if one is the one I intentionally left out.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician

renosteinke

No, K8 ... but you will find plenty of references to things being mechanically secure. I can't imagine anyone considering a pipe dangling through a hole to be 'secure,' or the ground path 'continuous.' To do that, you need a nut on the inside and a nut on the outside.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
No, K8 ... but you will find plenty of references to things being mechanically secure. I can't imagine anyone considering a pipe dangling through a hole to be 'secure,' or the ground path 'continuous.' To do that, you need a nut on the inside and a nut on the outside.

No you don't. Consider RMC stubbed up out of concrete coming into a box. The conduit isn't going anywhere and a single locknut inside the box could be made up wrench tight.

I'm not saying that is good craftsmanship, but it is possible and I don't see an NEC rule that would prohibit that.

A better example is a chase nipple. One locknut would be fine and if you really tried you could probably make the coupling cinch down on the box without any locknut.

Oh, and just because it seems to be allowed doesn't mean I would do it that way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

You put a metal bushing on the inside and a locknut on the outside. Tighten the locknut. Not much different than an EMT connector in reverse. Been done that way for at least 80 years.

Strife

Yes.
It's called a 4-11/16 box and a set screw rigid connector. You don't even have to thread the conduit.
Even if they'd have a 4-11/16 with hubs I could bet quite a bit that they're more expensive than set screw connectors.

Is there a 4 11/16 box with hubs that can be used with RGS conduit? Or what would be the equal? I guess you can thread the RGS and use double locknuts but that is more labor intensive. Thanks

What I would like to ask is what option are there for small junction boxes with RGS

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Is there a 4 11/16 box with hubs that can be used with RGS conduit? Or what would be the equal? I guess you can thread the RGS and use double locknuts but that is more labor intensive. Thanks

What I would like to ask is what option are there for small junction boxes with RGS

Yes there is!

Killark makes a 4 11/16 inch cast box with threaded hubs. I guess that is the definitive answer to horsegoer's question. All the rest of the posts are just options to use instead of what horsegoer was asking about.

I don't know why, but all of a sudden the answer came to me and I tried to find a picture of it.

In retrospect, someone (including me) should have had that answer pages ago.

http://www.elliottelectric.com/Products/Detail.aspx?v=KIL&c=2FSC1M

(No pic on site, I'll try to find one)

Edit - They look like this:

View attachment 6710

Last edited:

Strife

Sorry but the OP stated:" I guess you can thread the RGS and use double locknuts but that is more labor intensive."
By "double locknuts we always assume a sheet metal box" WHERE A SET SCREW CONNECTOR WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN THREADING.
And that explosion proof box will still REQUIRE the conduit to be threaded, which the OP wanted to avoid(look up again to the quotes, correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes there is!

Killark makes a 4 11/16 inch cast box with threaded hubs. I guess that is the definitive answer to horsegoer's question. All the rest of the posts are just options to use instead of what horsegoer was asking about.

I don't know why, but all of a sudden the answer came to me and I tried to find a picture of it.

http://www.elliottelectric.com/Products/Detail.aspx?v=KIL&c=2FSC1M

(No pic on site, I'll try to find one)

Edit - They look like this:

View attachment 6710

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Sorry but the OP stated:" I guess you can thread the RGS and use double locknuts but that is more labor intensive."
By "double locknuts we always assume a sheet metal box" WHERE A SET SCREW CONNECTOR WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN THREADING.
And that explosion proof box will still REQUIRE the conduit to be threaded, which the OP wanted to avoid(look up again to the quotes, correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't get what you are 'sorry' about..

From post #1

There are three questions. 1) "Is there a 4 11/16 box with hubs that can be used with RGS conduit?" The answer is yes, I gave the Killark PN. 2) "Or what would be the equal?" He got many answers to that question long before he got his first question answered correctly.

He then made a statement, "I guess you can thread the RGS and use double locknuts but that is more labor intensive." I read this statement to be one possible answer to question #2.

And finally 3) "What I would like to ask is what option are there for small junction boxes with RGS(?)". The best answer would be stamped and cast. I don't see where the OP asked about explosion proof boxes in the first post. I guess that is one possibility, but I don't see it as being applicable sans a specific request for explosion proof.

"WHERE A SET SCREW CONNECTOR WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN THREADING." Who said that? Set screw connectors would not be cheaper than threading if a threader was available. Even so, the OP asked for available options and did not ask for comparative costs.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Cast boxes are an expensive option for RGS conduit.

What would they not be an expensive option for?

I think we covered all the bases for you, except one. That is a 'zero clearance' hub, another way to connect rigid to a box.

Did we not answer your questions?

I think we covered your choices for a 4 11/16 box and I think we did a pretty good job covering every feasible way to connect rigid to a box legally. Is that not the info you were looking for?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Cast boxes are an expensive option for RGS conduit.

The 4 11/16 boxes are cheaper, have a larger volume, have more KO's, and are easier to install than the Cast boxes. Unless there is a spec requiring cast the decision seems pretty easy. If you don't want to cut and thread just use threadless connectors.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

I actually considered that answer. OP asked for 4-11/16 square box. FS and FD boxes are "gang" device boxes and not the functional equivalent of a 4-11/16 square box, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.