Occ sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockedby277v

I have on my punch list missing occupancy sensors in a elevator equipment room which was already inspected by the elevator inspector. I didn't install the occ sensors in my elevator equipment and electrical rooms because I believe this is a violation. Now I need something to back me. Is this a building, OSHA or a violation of something else?? Maybe I'm dead wrong. Please help.

Thanks

jusme123

Occupation
JW
...with reference to the elevator mech. rm, I would consider the occ sensor no different than a light switch. I believe you can have them in both areas without a violation.

iwire

Staff member
110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.

(D) Illumination. Illumination shall be provided for all
working spaces about service equipment, switchboards,
panelboards, or motor control centers installed indoors and
shall not be controlled by automatic means only.
Additional
lighting outlets shall not be required where the work space
is illuminated by an adjacent light source or as permitted by
210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, for switched receptacles.

Strife

The OCC only means of turning on/off would be a violation(nothing like having to disconnects opened opposite of each other and light goes off)
So, you should have a "normal" switch as well. But then that defeats the purpose of occupancy switch.
Bottom line: I would tell the inspector:"I'm the one that has to service this switch gear. I don't want the light to go off at the darnest time"
Heck, I don't even know why plan reviewers and MORE the FIRE MARSHALL would even allow that.

I assume this is a scenario of :"when the green goes bad". The engineer was in such a hurry to make the building "green" that he forgot the safety.

I have on my punch list missing occupancy sensors in a elevator equipment room which was already inspected by the elevator inspector. I didn't install the occ sensors in my elevator equipment and electrical rooms because I believe this is a violation. Now I need something to back me. Is this a building, OSHA or a violation of something else?? Maybe I'm dead wrong. Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:

stevebea

Just thinking out loud.... If I had an electrical room with three light fixtures and one of those lights was on 24/7 could the other two lights be controlled by an occ. sensor?

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
If you had a wall mounted switch/occupancy sensor combo device, would you say it would be or would not be a violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.