AC Split Unit Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzadroga

Hi all, I have an install for a split AC System in a home. The HVAC installer is trying to have me use a tray cable that is approved for direct burial and sunlight resistant. From what I can find in the code, I don't think this cable is approved for instalations in a home or conceled in walls. Am I mistaken? Can I staple it to the outside of the house? I see nothing that permits stapling but I also see nothing that prohibits it.
photo (5).jpg

jzadroga

I'm in Massachusets and only an electrician can install the wiring. I believe he might be able to do the low voltage if he pulls an electrical permit but there is no low voltage in this case. I think he is trying to get me to buy it from him but thats not the question. I dont think I can use this wire in a home.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... The HVAC installer is trying to have me use a tray cable that is approved for direct burial and sunlight resistant. From what I can find in the code, I don't think this cable is approved for instalations in a home or conceled in walls. Am I mistaken? ...
Tray Cable (Type TC) is not permitted to be installed outside of a raceway or cable tray system except in an industrial environment [336.12(2)]

jzadroga

Thats what I thought but wanted to verify. Since the HVAC guy was trying to supply the wire I figured I'd better check it out. further searching on honey wells website shows this cable as a mini split cable but i cant see where it is worth using. If it has to be in a raceway than why not just use thwn. It would bee cheaper and easier I think. For my install 14/3 UF cable is cheaper and meets code.

Has anyone else heard about this cable?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Tray Cable (Type TC) is not permitted to be installed outside of a raceway or cable tray system except in an industrial environment [336.12(2)]

What would be a good reason for this when looking at the label on the cable?

THHN-OK
600 volt-OK
pvc jacket-OK
Tray Cable-Not OK

kwired

Electron manager

Yet it has a dircet burial rating on it, maybe for a direct buried cable tray? (I guess the industrial environment maybe could be direct buried - but am guessing in most cases they would use a raceway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is no reason to run TC. You can run any wiring method you want. Many manufacturers supply a cord for the unit but I usually run power to the disconnect outside and then run nm inside the walls to a JB outside then flex to the unit with Thwn or use UF all the way. You can use the TC cable in a raceway.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yet it has a dircet burial rating on it, maybe for a direct buried cable tray? (I guess the industrial environment maybe could be direct buried - but am guessing in most cases they would use a raceway.
I was just citing one "required" wiring method using TC. TC is not permitted to be direct buried unless it is marked [suitable for] direct burial. But the OP mentioned something about stapling to wall, which certainly isn't direct burial...!!!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From what the local HVAC folks tell me that's a "standard" cable the manufacturer supplies...
and I imagine in many areas it is installed without raceway, but as pointed out, doing so would be a Code violation.
My memory tells me all 4 condcutors are current carrying so I'm not sure you4 14/3 wg
UF would be a good substitute.
Locally most use the TC and install it in a raceway.

Another long fought argument here is the need for a disconnect at the inside fan motor.

donselectric

i did one of those in mass and when i got there the ac guy had run the cord and left it
hanging out the wall tywrapped to the freon lines. i can tell you it was a pita to hookup
as the manufacturer only provides 2 1/2 ko's and there were two of those cables and my feed.
i went upstairs to see how he connected it...wish i didnt he had cut off on of the grounds out of
one cable guess he figured he had one in the other.....its a listed package so i wasnt arguing with
the cord issue and it passed insp....:

Status
Not open for further replies.