Vehicle GPS Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

Does anyone use a GPS tracking system to see where their vehicles are? I would liketo seethetime they leave and arive at their destinations along with the speed that the vehicle has traveled.

Any one using these systems?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We have them on all of our trucks, we have a computer program that uses "Geo fences" that tracks the locations of the trucks at home and one the road. Also emails the dispatcher if truck has exceeded the preset speed limit or unscheduled stops. The tracking system is Xora

Last edited:

nhfire77

i have a friend who owns a landscaping company. He spent about 3-4 grand to have it put in all his trucks, excavators, machines and a software suite. (might have been a monthly or annual fee as well)

He was using it for billing out plowing when the customer claimed, they only plowed twice in a snow storm when it was actually 4 times. Also, he had customers give him a hard time on hours billed for equipment. He has a lot of T&M contracts and this was proof the machine was there (not actually working mind you) with plowing you could plot a line of where the vehicle drove, that proved a plow was making its way around the parking lot, there were a lot of line all over the place. It was funny hearing about a property manager getting this shown to him as proof the lot was plowed. He was really mad about being caught in a lie, telling my friend they only plowed twice.

The software he had allowed him to define a customers property with artificial boundary (fences) drawn on a google earth map. Then, the actual time the machine was spent in that predetermined area was logged and he could refer to it for billing. This also let me see if his guys were goofing off. Which turned out, they weren't and he doesn't track their every move. Also, it was easier to schedule for the next year having average time it took for each pass of each parking lot.

Its a lot of work just tracking them. It wasn't a daily occasion, only done as a analytical tool, but it would also track real time.

It also tracks max speed etc.

Last edited:

B4T

I do work for a company and if THEY catch you speeding two times.. you are terminated.. :jawdrop::jawdrop:

It has to do with insurance rates.. but doing 55MPH. on the Long Island Expressway should be classified as "mobile suicide"..

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Does anyone use a GPS tracking system to see where their vehicles are? I would liketo seethetime they leave and arive at their destinations along with the speed that the vehicle has traveled.

Any one using these systems?

i use a personal one that is driven off an iphone app, that viper,
the alarm folks provide.... not exactly what you are looking for,
it works with the vehicle alarm, and remote start.... you can
remote start, lock and unlock doors, set geofences, and speed
notifications, and ping the location and speed of the vehicle.

and trigger "external outputs"..... :angel:

i pity the poor fool who drives off in my work truck...
the vehicle will stop when the engine control computer is
locked down, the doors lock, and the flashers go off, and it
shows on my iphone where it is, so i can show up with a
shotgun for a "vehicle reacquisition" procedure.

doesn't sound like what you are needing tho... you want fleet
services, but this has a fun factor built in... ;-)

renosteinke

"Vehicle reacquisition services?" I contract mine out. I have a team of guys who do nothing all day buy drive around, waiting for me to call. Their cars have flashing blue lights, and they carrg badges with their guns.

Now, if I may wander a bit off topic ...

I have two stories about 'tracking.'

The first I did the old-fashioned way, meticulously recording every mile I drove, and what I did every minute of the day. The results were eye-opening; for about half my miles I didn't need the big truck. I got a new small car, and here's how the math worked out:
Gas for truck = Gas for car + car payment + $100. That was at $2.50/gallon gas; today the savings would be greater.

The other story is more a reading suggestion: Claude Hopkins' book "My Life in Advertising / Scientific Advertising." One of his big things was tracking his slaes, to measure the effectiveness of different advertising things. That's where the "scientific" part came in. He was a fan of using coupons for tracking, and the question arose about the effect 'cheaters' had on the data. (As in where a single person would make multiple requests for free samples).

Well, they carefully monitored some campaigns for fraud ... and in every instance, the cost of the monitoring greatly exceeded the amount of cheating that was tried. As a few posters have already noted- it wasn't their guys who were goofing off or playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.