Pole Anchor Bolts Pattern is set wrong in base

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
We have cut them off flush and replaced them with new ones that were epoxed into the base.

However, this was an engineered solution with an engineers stamp and approval to provide both the customer and the inspector.

(In our case the pole manufacturer had sent the wrong templates and they paid T&M for the repairs)

mike7330

Ouch!

Ouch!

Ouch!!! I have seen adaptors welded, that bolt down to the wrong bolt pattern, then new bolts sticking up with the new bolt pattern. But you need to check with AJH?? if thats ok? Good Luck.

B4T

We have cut them off flush and replaced them with new ones that were epoxed into the base.

However, this was an engineered solution with an engineers stamp and approval to provide both the customer and the inspector.

(In our case the pole manufacturer had sent the wrong templates and they paid T&M for the repairs)

I saw this program called "Engineering Disasters" on the Discovery channel about concrete ceiling slabs installed in tunnels on the Big Dig project..

The bolts were epoxied and still failed.. leading to a few deaths and millions in repair costs..

Even with a engineer stamp.. I would find a way of installing a few of these as a backup just in case..

856011_lg.jpg

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Depends on the light. We have cut the base off and rewelded the base to fit the bolt orientation. Bolted the base down, then once we got the light like we wanted it, tacked it into place. removed it, welded base back on, sprayed with cold galvanizing, reinstalled.

the blur

you need to preform a wind load calculation on your solution.

Those anchors shown above will pull out with any wind at all. :happyno:

I'd jack hammer it up, and start over with fresh cement, and the proper bolt setting as per specs. your playing with a potential disaster.

iwire

Staff member
I saw this program called "Engineering Disasters" on the Discovery channel about concrete ceiling slabs installed in tunnels on the Big Dig project..

The bolts were epoxied and still failed.. leading to a few deaths and millions in repair costs..

Even with a engineer stamp.. I would find a way of installing a few of these as a backup just in case..

856011_lg.jpg

Yeah, they installed those incorrectly that is why they failed. :roll:

In our case we had to drill 1" holes 18" deep and install 3/4" threaded rods into those holes with epoxy. They will never come out.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

856011_lg.jpg

I have seldom seen wedge anchors fail if concrete was good. I have never been able to pull one out of the hole in good concrete.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Is it possible to move the light to the right position on the pole or can it only fit one way?

iwire

Staff member
I have seldom seen wedge anchors fail if concrete was good. I have never been able to pull one out of the hole in good concrete.

That is a fact.

However if you did use them could you say for certainty they would not split the concrete of the base open?

Personally I would not do a thing without an engineer signing off on it.

Jacob S

856011_lg.jpg

I may just be paranoid, but I would be worried about using those in a pole base. I think of how easy it is to split rock using feathers and wedges, so I really don't like the lateral force of those wedge anchors pushing sideways on the pole base. I have no problem with those in a large slab, but would much rather see, an engineered solution, using epoxy and all thread. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

mivey

I may just be paranoid, but I would be worried about using those in a pole base. I think of how easy it is to split rock using feathers and wedges, so I really don't like the lateral force of those wedge anchors pushing sideways on the pole base. I have no problem with those in a large slab, but would much rather see, an engineered solution, using epoxy and all thread. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I trust the wedges for holding static loads with the loading mostly lateral along the surface. The problem with a light pole is the load oscillates in a direction that tends to defeat the wedge. Plus there is the cracking concerns with concrete dimensions that are relatively small.

I agree with iwire, get a structural engineer involved or assume the risk. The cutting and re-welding of the pole base sounded viable also but I'm not sure how much work that entails (also voids the pole warranty for whatever that might be worth-probably very little).

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Also remember that they use "J" bolts for a reason and there is actually a way that those bolts are supposed to be installed. When you install a straight bolt it completely changes the engineering.

So going with Bob again the only way to repair this, is the way the engineer says to.

the blur

ever see those wheel adaptors on cars. to install a different bolt pattern wheel on an axle. say a chevy wheel on a ford van. I would look for something like that.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Is it possible to move the light to the right position on the pole or can it only fit one way?
I like this idea.
You might be able to modify the base of the pole as well.
Time to talk with your local welder and engineer.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Anchors shown in picture are sleeve anchors. For equal strength, epoxy anchors are better, easy to install and meet wind/seismic requirements. Remember this pole is going to be moving from the wind, that puts a lot of stress on the anchors.

DAWGS

You could excavate the bases, spin them as needed, reset and tamp around them. You will need a crane and excavator. It would be like setting a precast base.

Status
Not open for further replies.