Labeling underground conduit stubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
How do you guys label your underground conduits? We've got probably 70+ conduits coming into a recessed concrete trough under some MCC's we need to label. Generally, we just throw a vacuum on them until we find the one we want, but this is a bit much for that. We were thinking about using those white pvc female caps:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...i=q096T4HxDJOOigK_2_1p&sqi=2&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAg#

They'd definitely keep the concrete out and we could write on them fairly easily. The usual duct tape and rigid couplings probably aren't going to cut it on this job, we just spent an hour or so this morning cutting some 4" pvc out that the pump truck operator blew some concrete down....

Ideas? Anything cheaper that might work better?

Thanks guys.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For metal conduit we use "pennies" and bushings. (A penny is a blank that fits inside of the bushing). When you're all done you throw away the pennies and reuse the bushings.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
For metal conduit we use "pennies" and bushings. (A penny is a blank that fits inside of the bushing). When you're all done you throw away the pennies and reuse the bushings.

Bushings? Do you mean couplings?

I assume you're referring to pennies as those little plugs that come with WP boxes? Pennies would probably work on most of them, but we do have some some conduits that are 3", and I don't know if they make 3" pennies.

cadpoint

You going to install jet lines as soon as you open them? Whom ever gets to put them in installs a flag/ number, color, marks, whatever but mark the inlets and draw a picture...

If you roll the grey universal tape over itself it will maintain the literature.

I've also strapped is up using threaded rod(s) for the string, but under foot that's not such a good application...

BJ Conner

Threaded male pipe plug.

Threaded male pipe plug.

PVC threaded male pipe plugs into a coupling.
Buy the right stuff the first tim. Push-in plastic and duct tape is just tripping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

iwire

Staff member
Bushings? Do you mean couplings?

I assume you're referring to pennies as those little plugs that come with WP boxes? Pennies would probably work on most of them, but we do have some some conduits that are 3", and I don't know if they make 3" pennies.

No, he means bushings and the pennies are just round flat slugs

http://www.garvinindustries.com/Electrical-Fittings/Rigid-IMC-Fittings/Pipe-Cap-Bushings--Pennies

You sit the slug on the end of the conduit and screw a bushing on over it to hold it in place.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No, he means bushings and the pennies are just round flat slugs

http://www.garvinindustries.com/Electrical-Fittings/Rigid-IMC-Fittings/Pipe-Cap-Bushings--Pennies

You sit the slug on the end of the conduit and screw a bushing on over it to hold it in place.

Thanks Bob that's what I meant. I did a quick search but couldn't find a photo of one. We use those because they're strong, you can write on or paint them to color code them and they're cheap.

PNY100.jpg

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
We used some hard red plastic caps that could be snapped together with each other and slid over the pipe, I just can not think of who made them. It was long ago and a diff. Co. I was working with, so I can't run out in the warehouse.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We used some hard red plastic caps that could be snapped together with each other and slid over the pipe, I just can not think of who made them. It was long ago and a diff. Co. I was working with, so I can't run out in the warehouse.

You know, a guy at work mentioned something similar. If we're talking about the same thing, he said it covered the tops of the conduits as well as put a uniform space between them. He couldn't remember who made them either though....

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

I know exactly the ones you are talking about I think. They are for 2 conduits. However, after a grueling search I found these http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bline/Resources/Library/flyers/BA131F.pdf
not the same ones I was thinking of, but just as effective. They would be very good for the OP application and reusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.