Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Another thread brought to mind a question I had the other day.

For a disconnecting means for vehicle chargers the Code states:

625.23 Disconnecting Means. For electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the open position.

As I read that, there is no requirement for the disconnect to be "readily accessible" from the charger, only readily accessible somewhere on the premises. Correct ?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Another thread brought to mind a question I had the other day.

For a disconnecting means for vehicle chargers the Code states:

625.23 Disconnecting Means. For electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the open position.

As I read that, there is no requirement for the disconnect to be "readily accessible" from the charger, only readily accessible somewhere on the premises. Correct ?

I would say based on the verbage of the Article, you are correct but to have the disconnect at a remote location from the charger would be of poor design.

lidco2

Section 625.23 - Electric vehicle disconnect requirement

Section 625.23 - Electric vehicle disconnect requirement

Section 625.23 clearly states that equipment rated more than 150 volts TO GROUND is required to have a disconnect. It also states that units RATED more than 60 Amps are required to have a disconnect.

We just installed a unit that has (2) 208 Volt 40 Amp feeds.

The local city inspector is telling me that we have 240 Volt to ground potential. I could not follow that scenerio.Any one of those wires measures 120 Volts to ground.

The facilities personnel at this site were very particular on the install and that I am expecting great resistance on adding disconnects on the outside of the building as requested.

No part of the charge point station is rated greater than 40 Amps. But we do have (2) 40 Amp feeds. This is a less clear cut argument.

So I guess I have 3 questions.

1. Based on the voltage do you agree that a disconnect is not requried?
2. Base on the unit having (2) 40 Amp feeds do you think a disconnect is required?
3. If a disconnect is required, it is suppposed to be readily accessible. Not within sight. By definintion in section 110 in the handbook, the disconnect can be located behind a locked door which is accessible to those that required access.

Status
Not open for further replies.