Ballast system watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

solis

I have a question regarding system watts in a 2 lamp ballast. Why is the system watts less than the actual wattage of the 2 lamps and ballast? On a GE232MAX-L/ULTRA, using two 25W lamps at 277V, the system watts is 39W. The power factor is high, 99%, but not 1.2 as the system watts suggest. Am I not understanding what system watts means? We are having a problem with the projected savings and power consumption at a facility we looking to retrofit.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Is that 99% power factor or ballast factor? Also the lamp wattage is the 60 hz rating. I will assume these are new electronic ballasts?

Last edited:

solis

Thanks for replying, yes it is the power factor, not ballast factor, brand new electronic ballasts, 60 hz on the system and lamps

Electric-Light

I have a question regarding system watts in a 2 lamp ballast. Why is the system watts less than the actual wattage of the 2 lamps and ballast? On a GE232MAX-L/ULTRA, using two 25W lamps at 277V, the system watts is 39W. The power factor is high, 99%, but not 1.2 as the system watts suggest. Am I not understanding what system watts means? We are having a problem with the projected savings and power consumption at a facility we looking to retrofit.
Most ballasts today for commercial use have a PF of >0.98, and its not relevant for your energy saving calculation.

You're using lower wattage, because it is an under-drive ballast. (0.77 BF) It's designed to operate two F32T8 to produce 77% of rated lumens +/- 10 pts from that or so for 48"T8 25W. Look up the specs on GE site using the product code printed on label for exact operating parameters with 25W lamps. System watts is the power going into the fixture under whatever configuration you made.

What you need to understand is that lamps are driven to produce 77% output. If you thought you're getting 100% of rated lamp output while only using 19.5W/lamp , you're sadly mistaken.

Electric-Light

Thank you for your response, I understand it a little better.

72130 F32T8/25WSPX41EC 38 new3850 mean3619 lpw 101 4100.0 85.0
So, while you'll get 95 lumens per watt and use only 38 watts but you're only going to get 3620 lumens from a two lamp setup.

So, you're looking at substantial reduction in output. 3619 lm using 0.77 BF and 25W 48" vs 6440 lm using 1.15 high BF(which is apparently what you thought you have) 32W 48"

Status
Not open for further replies.