Bonding CSST gas lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Galvanized piping can not be used with natural gas, not certain about LP, but have never seen it with galvanized. Something in the gas reacts with the galvanizing. Same for copper with natural gas, LP however can be used with copper piping.
I just had a generator installation where the plumber used galvanized 1" gas line and passed inspection. Is the prohibition you cite specific to a certain area of the country or gas company ?

John Arendt

I agree.....but they are all using it around here. I just built a new house and had the HVAC guy use the black jacketed CSST. It is supposed to be better quality than the yellow junk.

The "black jacket CSST' is "Strongguard" and.....it does NOT require a bond. From mfg spec sheet. Another debate?

From a recent 'seminar' with SB the above is supposed to be correct. The debate of an EC and a PERMIT is still ongoing.:cry:

John Arendt

I agree.....but they are all using it around here. I just built a new house and had the HVAC guy use the black jacketed CSST. It is supposed to be better quality than the yellow junk.

The "black jacket CSST' is "Strongguard" and.....it does NOT require a bond. From mfg spec sheet. Another debate?

From a recent 'seminar' with SB the above is supposed to be correct. The debate of an EC and a PERMIT is still ongoing.:cry:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician

I know but I bonded it anyway.

kwired

Electron manager
I just had a generator installation where the plumber used galvanized 1" gas line and passed inspection. Is the prohibition you cite specific to a certain area of the country or gas company ?

I really don't know for sure. Ran into a job one time where owner ran his own line - underground but wanted his HVAC guy to make connections at each end. He ran poly water tubing and used galvanized fittings for riser out of ground. HVAC guy of course said he would not connect any of it, the poly tubing was not listed for gas, he said you can't use galvanized for gas either - something in the gas reacts with the galvanizing. I guess I bought into the idea figuring that is why you never see galvanized pipe used for gas - maybe there is another reason. Same with copper. You never see copper tubing for natural gas, but it used to be about all you ever saw for LP gas around here. I remember being told that something in natural gas reacts with copper and that is why you don't see copper lines for NG.

Status
Not open for further replies.