Low receptacles in kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. It is my understanding that all kitchen receptacles must be on a 20A circuit however, does a receptacle on a wall at 16 in AFF have to be on the SA circuit? Does this low receptacle have to be GFI protected? It is not serving counter top, within 6 foot of a sink, or in any other place that requires GFI protection except that it is in the kitchen. Thanks. BTW I've spent 30 minutes searching this forum for an answer before posting.
And thank you Charles E. Beck for your definition of an outlet in a past post: But in the language of the profession, in the language of the NEC, an outlet is essentially (but not quite exactly) the 2x4 or 4x4 box into which you install some electrical device. More exactly, an outlet is the tip of the wires that enter the box from within the walls, and that attach to an electrical device. I've been saying this for years.

jumper

They have to be on a SABC, but do not need to be GFCI protected.

This does not mean the wall receptacles have to be on the circuits that feed the counter tops, but the circuits are still SABCs.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The wall outlet does not need to be gfci protected however it is required to be on the small appliance circuit.

(B) Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all counter- top outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.
Exception No. 1: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted.
Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an indi- vidual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

Last edited:
okay! thanks for the info. I'll run my SA home run to this location then jump over to the device location at the counter top. There are so much dissonance with inspectors in the sarasota bradenton area that without websites like this just makes you want to pull your hair out. Oh, BTW, has anyone ever put a clock recepacle on a SA circuit??? Why even have that exeption in the code??? In all my years I've never installed one. No reply necessary. Strictly rhetoric.

(B) Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served.
In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all counter- top outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.
Exception No. 1: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted.
Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an indi- vidual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

I guess I'm just thick headed. What specifically makes something a SABC as opposed to a 20 amp circuit? Why the fancy name?

Is an in the cabinet receptacle (micro, dishwasher, disposal, etc) considered a wall outlet?

Another thing, there is an exception stating that the refrigerator is allowed on an individual 15 amp branch circuit. What about the dishwasher receptacle? Is it required to be on a 20 amp circuit (oops, I mean on a SABC)?

jumper

(B) Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served.
In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all counter- top outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

I guess I'm just thick headed. What specifically makes something a SABC as opposed to a 20 amp circuit? Why the fancy name?

Is an in the cabinet receptacle (micro, dishwasher, disposal, etc) considered a wall outlet?

Another thing, there is an exception stating that the refrigerator is allowed on an individual 15 amp branch circuit. What about the dishwasher receptacle? Is it required to be on a 20 amp circuit (oops, I mean on a SABC)?

Essentially, if a general purpose outlet is on the countertop or wall space in the required spaces it is a SABC. Disposals, DWs, range hoods are not SABCs nor can they be on a SABC. Why the fridge is included or excepted is beyond my reasoning.

iwire

Staff member

I think the diffrance comes down to what the circuit can supply.

A 20 amp general purpose branch circuit can serve almost any room.

A SABC can only serve specific rooms.

kwired

Electron manager
Hi guys. It is my understanding that all kitchen receptacles must be on a 20A circuit however, does a receptacle on a wall at 16 in AFF have to be on the SA circuit? Does this low receptacle have to be GFI protected? It is not serving counter top, within 6 foot of a sink, or in any other place that requires GFI protection except that it is in the kitchen. Thanks. BTW I've spent 30 minutes searching this forum for an answer before posting.
And thank you Charles E. Beck for your definition of an outlet in a past post: But in the language of the profession, in the language of the NEC, an outlet is essentially (but not quite exactly) the 2x4 or 4x4 box into which you install some electrical device. More exactly, an outlet is the tip of the wires that enter the box from within the walls, and that attach to an electrical device. I've been saying this for years.

Charlie probably gave you the NEC definition of outlet:

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

There does not have to be a box, there does not have to be a receptacle, it is simply a point on the wiring system.

For cord and plug connected equipment it is generally the receptacle, for permanently connected equipment it is generally the point where the premesis wiring ends and the utilization equipment begins.

You can say what you want out in the field - but since the NEC is so interwoven in most of what we do it is less confusing if you get in the habit of using NEC terminology as much as possible. This goes for other things as well like ground, grounded, grounding, ungrounded, raceway, conductor, cable, receptacle, service and feeder just to mention a few things that are often called other things and is not always as clear what is being talked about as when the NEC uses these terms.

kwired

Electron manager
I thought this would be legal also.:?

(3) Floor Receptacles. Receptacle outlets in floors shall
not be counted as part of the required number of receptacle
outlets unless located within 450 mm (18 in.) of the wall.

18 inches or less from wall just allows them to be counted for 210.52(A) required outlets.

2008 210.52(B)(1) says:

(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

All floor and wall receptacle outlets in those rooms are to be on SABC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I thought this would be legal also.:?

(3) Floor Receptacles. Receptacle outlets in floors shall
not be counted as part of the required number of receptacle
outlets unless located within 450 mm (18 in.) of the wall.

Yes you did say that, I read it too quickly and thought something else. :ashamed:

jumper

18 inches or less from wall just allows them to be counted for 210.52(A) required outlets.

2008 210.52(B)(1) says:

All floor and wall receptacle outlets in those rooms are to be on SABC.

If the receptacle is not in the zone for SABCs, I do not think that it would be required to be SABC.

18.1" off the wall makes it a general purpose receptacle only IMO. However, if it was less than 18" and even if the requirements of 210.52(A) were met, it would still be a SABC.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
SABC is the name given to the circuits that serve the kitchen & other receptacles that can be on that circuit.

The dining room, breakfast room receptacles have to on the SABC, they also have to be AFCI protected.

kwired

Electron manager
If the receptacle is not in the zone for SABCs, I do not think that it would be required to be SABC.

18.1" off the wall makes it a general purpose receptacle only IMO. However, if it was less than 18" and even if the requirements of 210.52(A) were met, it would still be a SABC.

After reading it more carefully you might be right. Then we should also consider the fact that a floor receptacle within 18 inches of the wall is a 210.52(A) outlet, and one that is not within 18 inches of the wall is not. 210.52(B)(2) says the SABC's shall have no other outlets. No other outlets means outlets other than required by 210.52(A) and (C). A floor outlet more than 18 inches from the wall is not included in (A) and (C). So the floor outlet in question can not be on a SABC. Not being a SABC also would mean it could be on a 15 amp circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.