Outlet boxes used in masonry, plaster, adobe, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jotw

Is there anything in 2011 NEC that specifies against the use of a regular plastic outlet box in an adobe wall that will be finished/patched with concrete or plaster? The only thing I can find that comes close to that is 314.15 Damp or wet locations. But, then, would this situation even fit that as the adobe is baked and the concrete/plaster will eventually dry. Maybe there would be a little moisture in the box, though, as the adobe heats and cools. ??? Thanks

jumper

Nothing in the NEC specifies that plastic boxes are not allowed in those finishes. What is required is that box be listed a wet location.

II. Installation
314.15 Damp or Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations,
boxes, conduit bodies, and fittings shall be placed or
equipped so as to prevent moisture from entering or accumulating
within the box, conduit body, or fitting. Boxes,conduit bodies, and fittings installed in wet locations shall
be listed for use in wet locations.

Sorry, I did not see where you already cited that section.

jumper

From UL

NONMETALLIC OUTLET BOXES (QCMZ)

Boxes and covers intended for use in wet locations as defined by the NEC
are marked ??Wet Location.?? Damp location boxes and covers are intended
to be so located or equipped as to prevent water from entering or accumulating
in the box and are marked ??Damp Location.?? Boxes with threaded
conduit hubs will normally prevent water from entering except for condensation
within the box or connected conduit.

But, then, would this situation even fit that as the adobe is baked and the concrete/plaster will eventually dry. Maybe there would be a little moisture in the box, though, as the adobe heats and cools. ??? Thanks[/QUOTE]

The finish is to be concrete/plaster.....is the outlet opening interior? or exterior?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have used plastic boxes in a brick wall for outdoor lights. I do not see an issue with it as it is in a dry location.

Strife

I assume you're talking a box flush with the wall. In this situation the WP cover(including the gasket) would take care the the WP part. The box would be located in a dry location(do spray, water or etc being directed at it) so it's the cover that has the (spray, water, etc being directed at it)

Is there anything in 2011 NEC that specifies against the use of a regular plastic outlet box in an adobe wall that will be finished/patched with concrete or plaster? The only thing I can find that comes close to that is 314.15 Damp or wet locations. But, then, would this situation even fit that as the adobe is baked and the concrete/plaster will eventually dry. Maybe there would be a little moisture in the box, though, as the adobe heats and cools. ??? Thanks

220/221

The box isn't an issue.

The cable embedded in a plaster/concrete finish coat may be a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.