Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica111

This may be a dumb question or possibly the wrong place to post, just let me know or point me in the right direction and I will certainly appreciate it. I am basically trying to determine if OSHA has regulations for a person who works on electrical things to be a licensed electrician? I see many things that uses the term, "qualified," but no specific information about what that means or how it changes from state to state. For example, being asked to disconnect and connect an electrical motor, check amps on electrical equipment, remove or replace 20, 30, 40 horse power motors with 240/480 volts on the motors. Sorry if I am saying this wrong but I'm new to all this stuff. I'm in Geology, no real expertise in electrical matters, etc. The company does provide some training and PPEs but something tells me this type of work should be done by a licensed electrician or at least directly supervised/checked by one. Thanks for any input or guidance in advance.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There are no OSHA requirements that a "qualified" person performing work on electrical equipment be a licensed electrician.

Jessica111

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Well, what typically constitutes being qualified? This may sound stupid but in your experience what kind of training would ensure someone is qualified enough to check amps, remove/replace motors, disconnect/reconnect motors, etc.? I'm asking because my current employer seems to be weeding out the electricians who used to do these things and is asking general folks to carry out these tasks. When I questioned if this was a task for a licensed electrician, I was told to find something stating so and they might reconsider. It seems like a huge liability risk for them to even go there when most of us doing these tasks do not have an extensive background in electrical matters. What's your opinion?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
This may be a dumb question or possibly the wrong place to post, just let me know or point me in the right direction and I will certainly appreciate it. I am basically trying to determine if OSHA has regulations for a person who works on electrical things to be a licensed electrician? I see many things that uses the term, "qualified," but no specific information about what that means or how it changes from state to state. For example, being asked to disconnect and connect an electrical motor, check amps on electrical equipment, remove or replace 20, 30, 40 horse power motors with 240/480 volts on the motors. Sorry if I am saying this wrong but I'm new to all this stuff. I'm in Geology, no real expertise in electrical matters, etc. The company does provide some training and PPEs but something tells me this type of work should be done by a licensed electrician or at least directly supervised/checked by one. Thanks for any input or guidance in advance.

You need to find out if your state requires a license or not and what the rules are on who can do Electrical work.

Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

A geologist doing electrical work makes about as much sense as asking an electrician to explain the composition of rocks.:D

I'll stick to what I'm good at:cool:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
A geologist doing electrical work makes about as much sense as asking an electrician to explain the composition of rocks.:D

I'll stick to what I'm good at:cool:

A rock is very hard and can break window's...:lol:

How's that....?:eek:

mkgrady

Osha would require that a person be qualified to do their job. To be qualified you must receive on the job training and be supervised by a worker untill the trainee is capable of working unsupervised. A typical training period would be several years. Your employer is taking a big risk by assigning electrical work to untrained workers.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Thanks for the reply. Well, what typically constitutes being qualified? This may sound stupid but in your experience what kind of training would ensure someone is qualified enough to check amps, remove/replace motors, disconnect/reconnect motors, etc.? I'm asking because my current employer seems to be weeding out the electricians who used to do these things and is asking general folks to carry out these tasks. When I questioned if this was a task for a licensed electrician, I was told to find something stating so and they might reconsider. It seems like a huge liability risk for them to even go there when most of us doing these tasks do not have an extensive background in electrical matters. What's your opinion?

it depends on where you are, and who you are doing the work for.

for example, a public utility in california must use "qualified" personnel in doing electrical work.
the utility however, is the sole arbiter of a persons qualifications.

that isn't as self serving as it sounds. the liability and risk to property and personnel is
enormous, and their requirements for an "authorized" person are pretty stringent.

in commercial electrical, calif. only licensed electricians may perform electrical work.
and electrical contractor may only employ licensed electricians or indentured apprentices.

now, it sounds like you have an employer who is not licensed as an electrical contractor,
employing people who are not authorized as electricians, to work on electrical work.

as such, your employers liability is not limited to financial risk if something goes badly wrong.
he can be held personally liable if someone is badly injured or dies as the result of something
electrically wrong.

the legal term is manslaughter. reckless disregard leading to the death of a human being.
you might want to show him this, and if he wants specific details on exactly what can happen,
send me a personal message, and i'll provide a contact phone number, and he can call me
and find out exactly how badly hooking up a 120 volt half horsepower motor can impact his life.

it cost the guy personally over 2 million dollars, and almost 2 years of his life in prison.
and it cost an innocent bystander her life.

scook56

Safety in the Workplace

Safety in the Workplace

OSHA regs. and NFPA 70, consider working on energized equipment over 50 volts to represent a shock hazard.
Arc flash: 35k˚F and arc blast: > 2160 lbs/sq.ft and 141.5 db @ 2 ft

OSHA(CFR) No. 26, Subpart S, ? 1910.332, discusses training needed for those who face the risk of electrical injury.
Proper training means trained in and familiar with the safety-related work practices required by ?'s 1910.331 through 1910.335.

NFPA 70E, the Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, should be used in conjunction with the OSHA regulations.
The OSHA rules srtate what is required. NFPA 70E provides information on how to comply with the OSHA rules and achieve a safe workplace.

The NEC defines a qualified person as One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment
and installations and has received safety training to recognize and aviod the hazards involved.

Telling or being told to be careful does not meet the definition and is not a substitute for proper training. Not qualified.
Sources: NFPA 70-2011, Electrical Wiring Commercial 14th Ed., DELMAR/CENGAGE

I hope this information is helpful.:happyyes:

Jessica111

Thank You

Thank You

Wow! Thank you so much for all the replies and information! I am certainly taking it to my supervisors and will fight to have licensed electricians come back in to do this work. I'm still shocked that you can be considered "qualified" according to OSHA without being licensed. In my opinion, that just leaves too much open for interpretation. I respect what you do and now with all this information, I feel it's in my best interest not to risk my own license and worse, my life or an innocent bystanders to try to help them save money. If they try to say they have (or will) provide more training, I plan to tell them I will stick to what I know I am qualified to do and if they don't like it, they can fire me. Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.