Panels & Transformers in Janitors Closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertprice78

I have a new construction installation where the engineer has shown 480V & 208V panels and transformers in a janitors closet with a mop sink in it. The room is only 9' X 5' . Clearances can be obtained. Is this installation code compliant. If not compliant, where would that information be found in the NEC, so I can show the engineer.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Not a great design as the janitors closet will soon have a cart or something and be used for storage of some sort, sorry may not happen, but experience tells me other wise.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I have a new construction installation where the engineer has shown 480V & 208V panels and transformers in a janitors closet with a mop sink in it. The room is only 9' X 5' . Clearances can be obtained. Is this installation code compliant. If not compliant, where would that information be found in the NEC, so I can show the engineer.

I have a very similar installation where I work. I agree with the others; there is no code issue as long as clearances are maintained. I also agree with Cowboy that it is not a very good design because those panels will almost definately be buried behind who knows what. I second Iwire's laughter that it may not happen. Keeping the panels clear is a constant battle. Good luck.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
All you need to do is to paint stripes on the floor to mark the working clearance spaces. That will keep the buckets and other stuff from being stored where it does not belong. :happyyes:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Have an inswinging door and put the panels behind the door, otherwise the panels will be buried.
We have a similar installation at my church, the room is used for paint storage and those wheeled garbage cans.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
All you need to do is to paint stripes on the floor to mark the working clearance spaces. That will keep the buckets and other stuff from being stored where it does not belong. :happyyes:

Charlie you can't honestly believe that?

To the custodian, that is his room, his domain.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Charlie you can't honestly believe that?
You mean you don't? Next you are going to tell me that "Wet Paint" signs do not stop people from touching the item to see if the paint is still wet. Sheesh! :slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.