Fiberglass pool bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am helping a friend bond the rebar, pool pump motor, and cover motor with a #8 solid ground. The pool is fiberglass, however they are pouring concrete around the pool. From the house electrical panel, I ran the # 8 to all those points. Is this right? Am I confusing grounding and bonding? Did I even need to run the #8 to the panel? Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No need to run back to the panel. You bond the deck re-bar to the other parts of the pool system. There will be a bond to the panel via the pumps EGC, but there is no reason to run the #8 to the panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with done. The equipotential bonding is just there to keep all metal parts of the pool at the same potential. It is all tied together including remote motors, heaters filters etc.

Is what I did wrong? Is it o.k. that I ran the #8 back to the panel? Did I just "over-do" it? If I understand correctly my #12 ground in my romex running to the pool cover motor and my pool pump motor are sufficient?

jumper

Is what I did wrong? Is it o.k. that I ran the #8 back to the panel? Did I just "over-do" it? If I understand correctly my #12 ground in my romex running to the pool cover motor and my pool pump motor are sufficient?

Going back to the panel was probably overkill, but not a problem AFAIK.

Romex in a pool motor install, now we got a problem I think.

680.21 Motors.
(A) Wiring Methods. The wiring to a pool motor shall comply
with (A)(1) unless modified for specific circumstances by
(A)(2), (A)(3), (A)(4), or (A)(5).
(1) General. The branch circuits for pool-associated motors
shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate
metal conduit, rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit, reinforced
thermosetting resin conduit, or Type MC cable listed for the
location. Other wiring methods and materials shall be permitted
in specific locations or applications as covered in
this section. Any wiring method employed shall contain an
insulated copper equipment grounding conductor
sized in
accordance with 250.122 but not smaller than 12 AWG.

romex

romex

Thanks for your help on the #8 bonding wire.

The pool is outside next to the garage. The pool pump is inside the garage. I ran romex and was going to run the romex inside 3/4" PVC in the garage to a GFCI deadfront.
From the deadfront, in PVC, go to a 20amp toggle switch (for motor).
From the switch run liquidtight flexible metal conduit (LFMC) down to the motor.

To satisfy the code, 680.21(A)(1), should I just run #12 THHN from the switch to the motor?
Why does it have to be insulated? The #8 bonding wire to the motor frame isn't insulated.

Bonding water?

Bonding water?

Also, does anyone know anything about bonding the actual water in the pool? Is it even in the code? Since this is a fiberglass pool, there is no metal at all. No metal rail, or step, or anything.
This is my first pool. I just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks for your help.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you don't have any bonded metal part in direct contact with the water (pool ladders, underwater light, etc.) the water must be bonded. Some folks bond it by a brass nipple in the water system and the actually make a critter that goes in the filter to bond the water.
http://www.bondsafe680.com/about.html

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Might be good to confirm with you. Does the pool have an underwater light, metal ladder, or diving board ???

Thanks for your help.
I like the "Bond Safe 680" , however the pool is in ground and the concrete is already poured around the pool. I will have to check the next time I am there but I don't think I can mount it in the skimmer for that reason. If I can that would be the ticket!

There are 2 LED lights with plastic housing already insalled in the wall of the pool. No diving board, no metal ladder, nothing metal in the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.