Emergency Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR600

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if it would be a code violation to use a 208 volt 4 contact relay with (2) N.O and (2) N.C. contacts to transfer from normal power to Em power for a 208 volt receptacle? Also would it be a violation to do the same for (2) 120 volt loads. I know that there are product for this such as the BLTC-24 relay. These are so expensive and this would be a cheap alternative.

templdl

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if it would be a code violation to use a 208 volt 4 contact relay with (2) N.O and (2) N.C. contacts to transfer from normal power to Em power for a 208 volt receptacle? Also would it be a violation to do the same for (2) 120 volt loads. I know that there are product for this such as the BLTC-24 relay. These are so expensive and this would be a cheap alternative.

Looks like a home made transfer switch to me. The question is, is it listed and labeled for the application? It is most likely not which would be in violation of NEC art 110. There are listed contactor type transfer switches available for this application.

iwire

Staff member
If it is for an optional standby system yes you could likely do that.

It is for a true Article 700 Emergency system, no way and that is why the listed ones cost so much ........ because you have to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.