Copper Bus Encapsupated in Another Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

Can someone please tell me what type metal is used for the bus in the "Siemens 20/40 Meterbase Panel Combo, Part # MC2040B1200RJBC"?

I prefer to use solid copper and this bus appears to be copper encapsulated with another metal.

Thank You,

templdl

Hello,

Can someone please tell me what type metal is used for the bus in the "Siemens 20/40 Meterbase Panel Combo, Part # MC2040B1200RJBC"?

I prefer to use solid copper and this bus appears to be copper encapsulated with another metal.

Thank You,

May it be tin plated copper?

Ravenvalor

I have found something.

I have found something.

It may be. Do you per chance know whether or not tin is better than aluminum as an outside panel bus?

Thank You,

I found this on the web. http://www.finishing.com/382/65.shtml

[h=1]Why must Copper Bus Bar be Tin Plated?[/h] +++++ Q. Sir,

Why we need Tin Plated Copper bar to be used in 6.9 KV busbar interconnection. My question is What is special with Tin Coating for copper bar?

Thanks and Regards,
ROY L. HARADJI
Oil Co. - Abu Dhabi, UAE

+++++ A. Copper oxidizes and the oxides do not stay on the copper well. When they come off there is more copper exposed, which in turn oxidizes, and so-on. Also the oxides do not conduct well. This causes poor electrical contact, which then gets hot and increases the oxidation rate. The oxides, because of their poor conductivity, also cause arcing at the electrical contacts, eroding the copper.
Tom Gallant
- Long Beach, California, USA

+++++ A. Tin plating has two main technical advantages:

1. The thin tin oxide film (10-30 nm) forms on the surface of the tin coating could act as a shield, inhibiting further oxidation; and

2. Being a relatively soft metal, tin provides a low constriction resistance.
sankara_narayanan.jpg

T.S.N. Sankara Narayanan
- Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

SG-1

Tin is the most inert plating you can use on a bus bar. It is used on copper bus bars in severe environments, such as paper mills. Think about a tin roof on a house, nothing reacts with it.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Tinning copper reduces the adverse corrosive effects the copper can have on other metals such as steel it is in contact with like steel clamps or screws.

zog

Tin is the most inert plating you can use on a bus bar. It is used on copper bus bars in severe environments, such as paper mills. Think about a tin roof on a house, nothing reacts with it.

Specifically used in areas that have high sulphur levels, like paper mills.

Status
Not open for further replies.