phase rotation meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

duck-boy

Im going to buy a new phase rotation meter. I like the fluke 9040 but was also looking at the ideal 61-521 which seems more versatile. Anyone have any recommendations of one over the other or maybe a different brand that they think is better? Any american made units? I like the clips on the ideal vs my old one. Seems a little safer than the cheesy rubber boot over the clip. Thanks

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Like Hv&Lv just about every POCO guy I ever saw has a Knopp unit. I like the Fluke 9040. I'm kinf of fond of Fluke and AEMC stuff, not real keen on Ideal.
I have to admit that I also have an Extech combo motor rotation and phase rotation unit (my second one, after my mishap with the first one) that has been discontinued, I think for good reason. This was the unit that had jacks on one end for phase rotation/voltage and on the other end jacks for checking an unconnected motor. Well you can guess what can happen and I have to admit I was lucky and was unhurt. If I recall correctly, this type of unit played a role in "Donnies Accident" that most of us have been made aware of.

duck-boy

Thanks for the info and I think I will stay away from any with dual inputs now after seeing Donnies accident ....

Status
Not open for further replies.