formulas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryannelson

I know this might be a dumb question..But I am taking my journeymans test in a few days and I am trying to figure out where in the code book I can find the formulas I am going to need for the calculations on the test........Anyone

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That's easy: you won't. The code book is not a design manual, and does not give any formulas of interest to test takers. It does have a calculation process or two, such as the steps for determining the calculated service load for a dwelling unit. But if you want, for example, the formula for calculating the neutral current in an unbalanced three phase system, it will not be in the NEC.

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck on your exam.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I thought that would be the answer...I was hoping there was a code section that I havent been able to find.

It is basic math but you need art 220 to know how to calculate feeder and service loads and many other articles for other calculations. The math is not that complication

jeremysterling

You will find the formulae in my NEC right where I wrote them. In my state this is legal for test-taking if you highlight any handwritten notes or formulas before entering the test site.

97catintenn

We can't have any written notes here in Tennessee. The only formulas I needed to remember were E=IR (even I remember) and P=IE (pie) and voltage drop=2RID/1000 (to RID voltage drop/1000).

Good luck!

Occupation
Inspector
I know this might be a dumb question..But I am taking my journeymans test in a few days and I am trying to figure out where in the code book I can find the formulas I am going to need for the calculations on the test........Anyone

You might be able to gain some helpful information in Annex D ( Examples ), 2011 NEC

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.