General project + SE AL wire conduit question

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of let me say how much a big fan I am of this forum space. For years I have been a big fan of this forum. It is the most intellectual place I have ever found on electrical discussions.

Anyway as home improvement ideas always start, my wife decided our above ground pool was not warm enougth and she wants a pool heater...... Just how I wanted to start off my summer with another home improvement project.

So like all ideas I started plotting this out in my head and building a physical BOM off of a blue print. The pump of my above ground pool was running off a 110 15a GFCI cicrcuit I installed when the pool was not planning for the future I pulled in a single wire for the outlet and the pump has been running for years. When the electricity caps ran out for PA a year or 2 ago I finally realized how oh my goodness expensive it is to run a 1 HP pool pump 12 or 14 hours a day.

So when she brought up this pool heater idea I decided I could offset the monthly electric cost of running a electric heat pump if I replace that life draining I mean power draining pool pump witha newer energy efficient pump.

Of corse all these ideas need then my current setup.

I started up my ripping out the old conduit.

I ran 2 inch sch 40 PVC to a outdoor sub panel I installed near the back corner of the pool deck. The pvc is 18 inches hunder the earth. The sub panel is a breaker fed panel to satisfy the code requirement of needing a disconnect on a sub panel in a different building. From this sub panel I ran 2 inch sch 40 PVC to a outdoor PVC 8x8x4 conduit box mounted on my small patio where all the pool equipment is located. From that box I will break out in sealed liquid tight to the pool gear I know the new pool gear needs bonded to the pool.

Here is my question. I did not realize in the 2008 code update you could not run SE wire in a sealed conduit underground. Of corse I bought AL SE 2-2-2-4 wire to connect the sub panel to the house. I was under the impression that the wire conductors inside the SE wire used to not have any information written on its jacket. Thus you used to not be able to strip an SE wire and use it individually because the wire jackets had nothing written on them....

After inspecting the SE wire I bought I stripped 3 feet of the outer jacket and to my shock the internal wire conductor jackets all have XHHW-2 written on them along with the manufacture informwtion. They look just like a normal single conductor wire you can buy with all the info on the wire jacket. That brought a immediate smile to my face. I mean in the code book I can run separate XHHW-2 wires in a conduit underground. That meets code.

So back to my questions has anyone else noticed that the individual conductor wires of their SE wire now has jacket information on it? Also has anyone else stripped the outer jacket of a entire SE cable to get the 4 conductors separated to meet the code requirement for running wire in a conduit under the ground. I mean I hate to wast perfectly good wire. I know it's a little silly to strip the entire wire to the 4 conductors but the code says no SE wire in a conduit under thr ground. I figured as long as the jacket on those individual conductors has the wire stamp XHHW-2 on them I should be good to go if I strip the 4 individual conductos put of the SE wire jacket.

My second questioning. I could have sworn years ago that it was acceptable to run 100 amps over AL 2-2-2-4 wire for a sub panel. Even now the code table has AL 2 AWG with a maximum of 100 amps for a 90c 194f setup. But now if your running a sub panel in a separate building you can not consider it 90c / 194f you have to consider it 75c / 167f what drops the max amps allowed down to 90. Was it always like this? Like I said I could have sworn in the past it was perfectly acceptable to run 100 amps over AL 2-2-2-4.

I wanted to get everyone's take.

Thank you in advance
David

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With due respect to your credentials, the questions you ask, IMO, place this in the DIY category and I am closing this thread in accordance with the Forum Rules. Poul wiring especially can be tricky and misunderstandings could end up tragically.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
(The OP sent me an IM and stated he was not seeking "how-to" knowledge on the pool wiring but was simply seeking input as the the use of the XHHW conductors that were in his SE cable. If the thread becomes a DIY, it will be closed.)

Last edited:

jumper

Doesn't this violate 680.25? The EGC would not be insulated.

To the OP, it was never legal to use #2 AL SER/SE for a 100 amp panel unless it was a main feed to a dwelling unit. 2008 just clarified this. Common violation.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation

To the OP, it was never legal to use #2 AL SER/SE for a 100 amp panel unless it was a main feed to a dwelling unit. 2008 just clarified this. Common violation.

I agree, but, to the point, if one was to remove the jacket and have only XHHW conductors, would they be o.k. for the phase/grounded conductors ?

I agree, but, to the point, if one was to remove the jacket and have only XHHW conductors, would they be o.k. for the phase/grounded conductors ?

Yes tht is what I did. I removed the grey SE jacket. The 3 internal conductors have actual southwire markings on the jacket and are labeled XHHW-2 right on the jacket. Normally I would be up a creek with out paddle. I would not use unmarked cable in anything.

But since the internal conductors actually have XHHW-2 written right on the jacket is there any reasonable objection that I cold not pull them in to conduit underground if I striped the entire SE jacket off? They would be just 3 normal separate XHHW-2 wires and a bare ground.

I could take a picture of the jacket of the internal conductors to show you the markings. Has anyone else come across SE wire where the internal conductors have manufacture markings and ratings on them?

Does the EGC need to be insulated if run though SCH 40 conduit? I was under the impression the ground did not need to be insulated if run through conduit but you folks are the experts.

Sir,

I believe I am starting to see the light that you brought up.

I found this post on this forum that advises using a insulated EGC when pulled through conduit underground.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=131665&highlight=Conduit+sub+panel+bare+ground

It's basically a catch 22. The bare AL can not touch earth, even in PVC the conditions are wet and blah I could see the bare AL corroding.

jumper

Sir,

I believe I am starting to see the light that you brought up.

I found this post on this forum that advises using a insulated EGC when pulled through conduit underground.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=131665&highlight=Conduit+sub+panel+bare+ground

It's basically a catch 22. The bare AL can not touch earth, even in PVC the conditions are wet and blah I could see the bare AL corroding.

Not trying to be rude, but did you read the section I posted?

680.25 Feeders. These provisions shall apply to any feeder
on the supply side of panelboards supplying branch circuits
for pool equipment covered in Part II of this article and on
the load side of the service equipment or the source of a
separately derived system

(A) Wiring Methods.

(1) Feeders. Feeders shall be installed in rigid metal conduit
or intermediate metal conduit. The following wiring methods
shall be permitted if not subject to physical damage:
(1) Liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit
(2) Rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit
(3) Reinforced thermosetting resin conduit
(4) Electrical metallic tubing where installed on or within a
building
(5) Electrical nonmetallic tubing where installed within a
building
(6) Type MC cable where installed within a building and if
not subject to corrosive environment
Exception: An existing feeder between an existing remote
panelboard and service equipment shall be permitted to run
in flexible metal conduit or an approved cable assembly
that includes an equipment grounding conductor within its
outer sheath. The equipment grounding conductor shall
comply with 250.24(A)(5).
(2) Aluminum Conduit. Aluminum conduit shall not be
permitted in the pool area where subject to corrosion.

(B) Grounding. An equipment grounding conductor shall be
installed with the feeder conductors between the grounding
terminal of the pool equipment panelboard and the grounding
terminal of the applicable service equipment or source of a
separately derived system. For other than (1) existing feeders
covered in 680.25(A), exception, or (2) feeders to separate
buildings that do not utilize an insulated equipment grounding
conductor in accordance with 680.25(B)(2), this equipment
grounding conductor shall be insulated.

(1) Size. This conductor shall be sized in accordance with
250.122 but not smaller than 12 AWG. On separately derived
systems, this conductor shall be sized in accordance
with 250.30(A)(8) but not smaller than 8 AWG.
(2) Separate Buildings. A feeder to a separate building or
structure shall be permitted to supply swimming pool equipment
branch circuits, or feeders supplying swimming pool
equipment branch circuits, if the grounding arrangements in
the separate building meet the requirements in 250.32(B).
Where installed in other than existing feeders covered in
680.25(A), Exception, a separate equipment grounding conductor
shall be an insulated conductor.

Not trying to be rude, but did you read the section I posted?

680.25 Feeders. These provisions shall apply to any feeder
on the supply side of panelboards supplying branch circuits
for pool equipment covered in Part II of this article and on
the load side of the service equipment or the source of a
separately derived system

(A) Wiring Methods.

(1) Feeders. Feeders shall be installed in rigid metal conduit
or intermediate metal conduit. The following wiring methods
shall be permitted if not subject to physical damage:
(1) Liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit
(2) Rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit
(3) Reinforced thermosetting resin conduit
(4) Electrical metallic tubing where installed on or within a
building
(5) Electrical nonmetallic tubing where installed within a
building
(6) Type MC cable where installed within a building and if
not subject to corrosive environment
Exception: An existing feeder between an existing remote
panelboard and service equipment shall be permitted to run
in flexible metal conduit or an approved cable assembly
that includes an equipment grounding conductor within its
outer sheath. The equipment grounding conductor shall
comply with 250.24(A)(5).
(2) Aluminum Conduit. Aluminum conduit shall not be
permitted in the pool area where subject to corrosion.

(B) Grounding. An equipment grounding conductor shall be
installed with the feeder conductors between the grounding
terminal of the pool equipment panelboard and the grounding
terminal of the applicable service equipment or source of a
separately derived system. For other than (1) existing feeders
covered in 680.25(A), exception, or (2) feeders to separate
buildings that do not utilize an insulated equipment grounding
conductor in accordance with 680.25(B)(2), this equipment
grounding conductor shall be insulated.

(1) Size. This conductor shall be sized in accordance with
250.122 but not smaller than 12 AWG. On separately derived
systems, this conductor shall be sized in accordance
with 250.30(A)(8) but not smaller than 8 AWG.
(2) Separate Buildings. A feeder to a separate building or
structure shall be permitted to supply swimming pool equipment
branch circuits, or feeders supplying swimming pool
equipment branch circuits, if the grounding arrangements in
the separate building meet the requirements in 250.32(B).
Where installed in other than existing feeders covered in
680.25(A), Exception, a separate equipment grounding conductor
shall be an insulated conductor.

To be honest I did not read it all. It was late at night and I was tired as anything.

I do see where it references the ground must be insulated.

Thank you for taking the time to help answer my questions.

Thanks
David

Status
Not open for further replies.