Low voltage cable support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wruderman79

Is there a code reference for supporting low voltage cables for hvac to the hvac unit itself ive seen a lot of times conduits attached to the ribs of ducts is this legal?

jumper

300.11(B)(2)

Not really correct, that is for class 2 cables attached to conduit that serves HVAC or such. Not conduits to HVAC duct work.

(2) Where the raceway contains power supply conductors
for electrically controlled equipment and is used to support
Class 2 circuit conductors or cables that are solely
for the purpose of connection to the equipment control
circuits

jumper

Is there a code reference for supporting low voltage cables for hvac to the hvac unit itself ive seen a lot of times conduits attached to the ribs of ducts is this legal?

If your question is: "Is it allowed to attach conduits to the ribs of duct work", the answer would be based on if the duct work is rated and installed to hold the additional weight.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think what the OP is asking is if it's permitted to use ductwork to support conduits and wiring if the conduits and wiring are part of the HVAC system. My answer would be no. Other than whips to connect motorized dampers for instance, the wiring is no different than any other and must be supported independently.

-Hal

Gac66610

I think what the OP is asking is if it's permitted to use ductwork to support conduits and wiring if the conduits and wiring are part of the HVAC system. My answer would be no. Other than whips to connect motorized dampers for instance, the wiring is no different than any other and must be supported independently.

-Hal

Horizontal I would agree, but if its coming down the side to the furnace vertically, i would think it would be ok, but that is JMO.
there are times when walls for support are too far from furnace, i am talking resi, (furnaces are placed in the center of an unfinished basement)

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Horizontal I would agree, but if its coming down the side to the furnace vertically, i would think it would be ok, but that is JMO.
there are times when walls for support are too far from furnace, i am talking resi, (furnaces are placed in the center of an unfinished basement)

He's not talking about that kind of situation, he's refering to HVAC duct work above ceilings. In your case I see no problem, we all do that. The conduit is there to supply the furnace.

-Hal

jusme123

Occupation
JW

-Hal

....would you say the same thing for disconnects associated with a hvac system?

hbiss

Occupation
EC
"The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment."

Like I said above about boilers and furnaces in the basement. Locating the disconnect on the equipment (boiler, furnace or air-handler) is permissable. On the ductwork it's not.

-Hal

bcunning

Why NEC 300.11(B)(2) does not allow attachment of unrealted conductors to conduits

Why NEC 300.11(B)(2) does not allow attachment of unrealted conductors to conduits

The firm I work for allows it's installer to connect low voltage signal and control cables to conduit at customer's sites. I won't do it per 300.11(B)(2) but my firm says it's a waste of time and it's no harm to do it. I am talking about low voltage witing that is in no way related to thermostat or HVAC control. It may be CAT 5 Ethernet for example. Until I can present a good technical reason not to do it, it will be allowed. Are there any real safety or technical reasons not to do it?

hbiss

Occupation
EC
From what I understand it's because those low voltage cables can interfere with the maintenence of whatever it's hung on. If the LV installer uses the electrical conduit to support his wiring and the electrical conduit is removed by the electrician what is going to happen? It's also possible for LV cables, if there are enough of them, to cause the conduit supports to fail and I have seen 6 and 8" bundles.

Until I can present a good technical reason not to do it, it will be allowed.

You seem to think that your boss has the last word or some say in this. Good reason or not, if your work is inspected you will not be allowed to do it. And believe me, if that happens on a large enough job and you are made to change everything you won't do it again. That the Code prohibits it should be good enough reason.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.