Flexible metal conduit fittings grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
In NEC 2008 250.118(5) a friend of mine told me there was a discussion about listed flexible metal conduit being used as a equipment grounding conductor and having a total path of 6ft. Most people I worked with understood that section to mean that the 6ft rule only applied to just the total length of the flex in that path (as stated in the article) and not the entire path.

Basically what I am saying is if you have a 50ft run of emt from the panel to a j-box, and you flex 6ft to a light from that j-box you can legally(but not good practice) do this without having to pull a green ground wire in the flex even though the entire run was 56ft (50ft emt + 6ft flex). All the other requirements being met of course, 20amp or less, listed fittings, no other flex in the run etc...

Well it has been said that you can not do this and it has to be the entire path (counting the 50ft emt). The words they are using to interpert it this way is "in the same ground return path". "Same path" does not mean "entire path". Am I missing something here?

iwire

Staff member
It is 6' of flex, not raceway.

That could be 6' at one end, 3' at each end or six 1' sections of flex randomly in the path.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
It is 6' of flex, not raceway.

That could be 6' at one end, 3' at each end or six 1' sections of flex randomly in the path.

Right, what he said. In other words, you can not have an accumulated total of more than 6 feet of flex between the load and the panel for any circuit.

jumper

I

Well it has been said that you can not do this and it has to be the entire path (counting the 50ft emt). The words they are using to interpert it this way is "in the same ground return path". "Same path" does not mean "entire path". Am I missing something here?

You are not missing anything, but it sounds like they are missing an NEC or did not actually read the section.

Status
Not open for further replies.