Alarm wiring in switch box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speshulk

When replacing a switch for a customer, I came across wiring for the alarm system in the switch box. The keypad for the alarm is on the wall above a three gang switch box. The alarm installer fished up into the switch box, then ran the alarm wire around the front of the box up to the keypad. The homeowner would like me to give them wording in the NEC that mentions this being a violation so they can complain to the alarm company, but I'm having trouble finding anything. Any thoughts?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When replacing a switch for a customer, I came across wiring for the alarm system in the switch box. The keypad for the alarm is on the wall above a three gang switch box. The alarm installer fished up into the switch box, then ran the alarm wire around the front of the box up to the keypad. The homeowner would like me to give them wording in the NEC that mentions this being a violation so they can complain to the alarm company, but I'm having trouble finding anything. Any thoughts?

Try NFPA 70-2008, 725.136
(A)General. Cables and conductors of Class 2 and Class 3
circuits shall not be placed in any cable, cable tray, compartment,
enclosure, manhole, outlet box, device box, raceway,
or similar fitting with conductors of electric light,
power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm circuits, and
medium-power network-powered broadband communications
circuits unless permitted by 725.136(B) through (I).

I'd bet the alarm keypad is either Class 2 or 3, and I doubt he used a barrier.

Speshulk

Thanks. Definitely no barrier. It's a three gang metal box made of three old work boxes ganged together. The alarm installer appears to have pried apart the edge where two of the boxes meet and the wire is wedged between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.