Door Access (Thumb Scanner) in electrical rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAEB

Guys good day!,

Just want to know your thoughts on putting a door access for electrical rooms, we have this current BPO project in where the client control/restrict the access to restrooms (only the leaser of that floor are allowed to use the restroom on that leased floor) since it is located at the common area. unfortunately the electrical room sits beside the restroom in a common hallway. Does NEC allows this? or is it a complete violation?

http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae300/mah_pogi2x/?action=view&current=MIKEHOLT.jpg

Many Many thanks,

AAEB

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So what's the problem?
Are the people who are not leasers on that floor using the Electrical room as a toilet? :eek:hmy:
I would think that's more than a code issue!

masterinbama

Are you worried that maintenance personnel can't access the electrical room?

If so that's simple, put a matching key lock on the E room and controlled access door for their use.

AAEB

Are you worried that maintenance personnel can't access the electrical room?

If so that's simple, put a matching key lock on the E room and controlled access door for their use.

yeah.. i checked art. 110, NEC is more concern on the egress not much on the entrance... thanks a lot:thumbsup:

Last edited:

AAEB

So what's the problem?
Are the people who are not leasers on that floor using the Electrical room as a toilet? :eek:hmy:
I would think that's more than a code issue!

haha! :Dno sir.. just want to know if NEC have some restriction on the entrance to an ee room...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Guys good day!,

Just want to know your thoughts on putting a door access for electrical rooms, we have this current BPO project in where the client control/restrict the access to restrooms (only the leaser of that floor are allowed to use the restroom on that leased floor) since it is located at the common area. unfortunately the electrical room sits beside the restroom in a common hallway. Does NEC allows this? or is it a complete violation?

http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae300/mah_pogi2x/?action=view&current=MIKEHOLT.jpg

Many Many thanks,

AAEB

are you anticipating that people who are allowed access to the restrooms might take a leak in the electrical room instead?

most places the electrical rooms are locked. if you want to make it a thumb scan type lock, I don't see an issue with that, but it seems like an unnecessary expense when a regular lock would keep out the riff raff.

the main problem i see is how do you keep the maint staff from accessing the private bathrooms?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Common man, that's a job perk! Nothing like pinching one off in the "executive" can just because you can... :angel:

when I was going to school i worked as a security guard for a detective agency. One of the places I guarded was a fortune 500 corporate HQ.

one of the guards decided it would be a good idea to take a shower in the chairman's private bathroom one night. he even used the chairman's big, soft fuzzy towel. and left his watch there.

AAEB

are you anticipating that people who are allowed access to the restrooms might take a leak in the electrical room instead?

most places the electrical rooms are locked. if you want to make it a thumb scan type lock, I don't see an issue with that, but it seems like an unnecessary expense when a regular lock would keep out the riff raff.

the main problem i see is how do you keep the maint staff from accessing the private bathrooms?

well, the building maintenance team must have an access to these door scanners. its kinda weird requirements by the client though but we'll just have to make it sure that there is no code violation. thanks:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.