Identifying Grounded Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

Am I interpreting 200.6 correctly? From my understanding, I can't use a black colored insulated wire with white tape wraps if the conductor is 6AWG or smaller. Is that right? I've always done this with #6 and #8, but it appears to be a violation.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Something else to consider. If the conductor is part of a cable you are allowed to re-identify it. Just not if it's in conduit.
BS for me too!:happyyes:

Strife

Thanks for the reply. FWIW, I think it's BS too!

I'll second to that(or triple).
Had a resi job with an FPE panel(one of those where the neutral bar is in the bottom. Everything came from the bottom in that panel. The original EC pulled yellows for all the neutrals. Again, everything came from the bottom so you could clearly see all yellows going in the neutral bar.
Inspector told me to tape them white.
Of course I did, not gonna argue with someone who can make me pull new wires:)
Still sounds silly though.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You guys need to slow down, I'm trying to get names so that I can collect the bountys.:p

"God watches out for fools and children", it doesn't say anything about law breaking electricians.

Last edited:

jumper

I've never been cited for it, as I believe most inspectors either don't know about the rule or don't see it as an issue.

I would bet that it is the latter part and not the former; personally all the inspectors, but one, I have ever worked with are damn sharp. Just my experience and it is not like I would not call out if something is wrong.

A-1Sparky

I would bet that it is the latter part and not the former; personally all the inspectors, but one, I have ever worked with are damn sharp. Just my experience and it is not like I would not call out if something is wrong.

I'll agree with that...I think most inspectors are more concerned with citing more significant violations.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Around here you go to the supply house and ask for #6 or 8 white you get the deer in the headlights look. You can almost here them thinking, don't you have any white tape?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Something else to consider. If the conductor is part of a cable you are allowed to re-identify it. Just not if it's in conduit.
BS for me too!:happyyes:

i think we need to take a poll about this... there seems to be a pretty divided response....

me, i just strip all the insulation off, and then tape the whole thing up with colored tape
from harbor freight as i pull the conducuctors into the raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.