camera on light pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgood1976

Just a few questions...

1) Can a PTZ camera wire be pulled in a light pole with no conduit?

2) Is it legal to have a conduit for that PTZ camera wire in the pole form the mounting point down to the hand hole with roughly a 10" sepperation from the conduit in the concrete base?

The last question is more of a would you do it...

3) The drawing shows to run 1" conduit for the camera, these are reused poles ( 4X4 and 5X5 ). For the size of the connector ( 1" XTRA FLEX ) it needs a 2 1/4" hole in the pole. Would this considerably weaken the pole or would you feel it safe to make that big of a hole, keeping in mind there is another box for the power for camer with a 1 1/8" hole on pole as well?

nhfire77

1. No, fiber optic would be an exeception. I've speced fiber for video out with a tiny step down xfmr mounted on the exterior of the pole feeding the camera/heater.

2. can you explain that Further? You can't mix the line voltage and low voltage in the pole anyway.

3. Did you say a 2 1/4" hole in a 4" wide side of the pole? Either way an engineering judgment would be the best liability shielding method. I wouldn't just drill the hole. I'm sure there is a maximum size hole that can be placed, if allowed. Of course, you said their old poles so no documents may be available.

Last edited:

Rampage_Rick

Isn't there CAT5 cable that's rated line voltage? So long as the insulation on the CAT5 is rated for the highest voltage present and you follow Class 1 wiring methods, then shouldn't it be possible to run it in the same conduit as the power for the light? I would think that CAT5 for would be way cheaper than going with fiber optics.

600v CAT5: http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releas...ontrol-centers-and-switch-gear-106611573.html

Last edited:

nhfire77

Isn't there CAT5 cable that's rated line voltage? So long as the insulation on the CAT5 is rated for the highest voltage present and you follow Class 1 wiring methods, then shouldn't it be possible to run it in the same conduit as the power for the light? I would think that CAT5 for would be way cheaper than going with fiber optics.

600v CAT5: http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releas...ontrol-centers-and-switch-gear-106611573.html

Interesting product, I will be looking into that. If there is more than one pole camera fiber may be cheaper because there would be no surge suppression required and a local ps would elminate voltage drop. Additionally, with cat5, baluns would be required with a power injector. I also have lightning concerns (surge suppression is never enough) with the camera mounted to a lightning rod (the pole) would be an issue for me. I personally would design an optically isolated video feed. Surge suppression is generally ineffective in protecting the DVR from a direct hit. Again a local power supply would limit any surge damage to that camera and pose supply.

But, I appreciate the link and either one could work.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Like I said in a previous topic about window shade wiring there ain't no such thing. 600v insulation does not make a cable a chapter 3 wiring method. Look harder, those CAT5 cables are still listed as CMR.

To answer the OPs question, if the line voltage wiring within the post was enclosed in conduit with suitable enclosures on the top and bottom the inside of the post becomes a chase. You can then run LV wiring all you want.

It doesn't work the other way, using a cable or conductors with 600v insulation for the LV wiring. That would be reclassifying the LV circuit as class 1 and the rules allowing that are very restrictive. In this case it would not be allowed. So even if that CAT5 were somehow a class 1 or chapter 3 wiring method you still couldn't use it.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.