Lighting Contactor Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

I have a situation where the owner has requested to shut-off all the lighting panels to test the light that are powered by emergency inverter system. It's a large warehouse project with five lighting panels. The current design show each highbay fixture is controlled by integrated individual occupancy sensor. The emergency fixture is powered by normal and emergency circuit via Bodine GTD (generator transfer device), so if this device senses the loss of normal power then it will transfer to emergency circuit from the inverter. The user wants to test these lights by shutting off the power to all lighting panels. My thought was to provide a lighting contactor (100A, 480V) a head of the each 100A MCB lighting panel and provide a remote control switch to open and close the contactor for testing purposes and locate these switches in the inverter room. My question is; is there any issue with this approach? What kind of switch needed for this application to open and close the contactor? Your help is really appreciated. Thanks, in advance

faresos

My brain must be fuzzy, why can't you just turn the breaker off?

Thats what we have suggested but they don't want to walk around the warehouse to turn off these 5 panels, they just want to do it from single location. Its a large warehouse and I guess they don't like to walk :)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Wouldn't it be easier and simpler to just wire the contactors to the normal power input to the GTD relays?

Then they wouldn't have to shut off power to the entire plant just to test the emergency lights. And you could use 20A contactors.

jumper

Wouldn't it be easier and simpler to just wire the contactors to the normal power input to the GTD relays?

Then they wouldn't have to shut off power to the entire plant just to test the emergency lights. And you could use 20A contactors.

I believe OP said it was a warehouse, not a plant.

Dedicated panels for lighting are not that uncommon, especially for newer buildings.

iwire

Staff member
It's a large warehouse project with five lighting panels. The current design show each highbay fixture is controlled by integrated individual occupancy sensor.

This may be a code violation, you cannot switch egress lighting unless it comes on automatically during a power failure.

faresos

This may be a code violation, you cannot switch egress lighting unless it comes on automatically during a power failure.

Yes, thats the whole purpose of the GTD device; We need to switch the emergency fixture at normal condition, if we lose normal power then the GTD will sense the normal power loss (from unswitched circuit) then it will transfer to the emergency source.

iwire

Staff member
Yes, thats the whole purpose of the GTD device; We need to switch the emergency fixture at normal condition, if we lose normal power then the GTD will sense the normal power loss (from unswitched circuit) then it will transfer to the emergency source.

I am still not following you.

When the GTD switches over to emergency will the fixture light regardless of no one in view of the occ sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.