POOL Equipment panels, wired by "Pool Guy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
After my latest service call to fix a tripping GFIC breaker on a pool cover, I found the neutral of the GFCI circuit had been tapped to the pool heater (the problem was the power was tapped from a different circuit) this caused the GFIC breaker to trip every time the heater was run.
The problem only recently presented because the original pool cover connections had bypassed the gfi breaker all together. I have seen this no less than 5 times in the last year along with a laundry list of other violations like, no EGC run with the cover switch in conduit (100' long), pulling feeders through conduit with a backhoe, etc.

Around here they pool companies do most of their own electrical work, its allowed under California Contractors Law, as long as it is related to the pool. I have not seen one job done correctly, there is always something.
Do you guys in other states see the same issues?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Are you saying that I ain't supposed to pull wires with a backhoe?

Now, ya tell me.:D

That all depends, how many 90's did you put in the conduit, is it less than the 6 these guys used?

stickboy1375

I come a cross the same crap, they run the pool lights and they never end up more than 8 inches above the water lever, no EBG 3ft around the pool, no potting compound on the #8 lug inside the forming shell, the list goes on....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here they are licensed, if they choose to be , to do their own bonding and run the conduit for the lights. They get their own permits and inspections. I get my inspection and finish it but I have not seen any issues. I had more issues with a pool cover company. They prewired the switch for the cover with rubber cord and their is no way to get into the pump to change the connections because the wiring was so short and did not have terminals.. The problem was they switch the neutral and then told me it was safer that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.