wire sharing wall of shower or bath tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

I have had 2ea helpers lately telling me that there is a new code which forbids running romex in a shower or bath tub wall. I had a builder long ago tell me the same thing. I have never found it in the code book. I asked an electrical instructor and he said that the code doesn't exist. I asked about running romex in a fireplace wall and received the same answer. I said okay, how about putting a panel box in a shared wall with a shower or tub. He said, "authorized". I try to avoid these situations, but have installed romex in all these places. Did I miss that paragraph in the code book?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No you didn't miss anything. There is no prohibition for any of the things you've mentioned in the NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Agreed. These are old tales that I have heard but there is no basis for it in the NEC. I would watch out for water pipes running thru the wall if there is a panel box there. 110.26(F)(1)(a)

Last edited:

Strife

I have had 2ea helpers lately telling me that there is a new code which forbids running romex in a shower or bath tub wall. I had a builder long ago tell me the same thing. I have never found it in the code book. I asked an electrical instructor and he said that the code doesn't exist. I asked about running romex in a fireplace wall and received the same answer. I said okay, how about putting a panel box in a shared wall with a shower or tub. He said, "authorized". I try to avoid these situations, but have installed romex in all these places. Did I miss that paragraph in the code book?

The wall in a bath is considered a dry location.
If that wall is filled up with water the owner has a lot more problems than the rommex being inside that wall. As in the house is submerged????
So shouldn't we install the services (I don't know) 100'-200' up in the air to make sure they never get flooded?
Sounds stupid? Well, it's the same logic....
What about the roof then? Shouldn't we install ONLY UF Cables because the roof might get damaged?
Sounds stupid? Not any more than claiming the water will (NOT ONLY GET WET INSIDE THE WALL, AS IN MOISTURE), but be under a wet condition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.