600 amp 3 phase 120/208

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhh

I am installing a 600 amp 3 phase 4 wire underground service to a new market. This is what I think I need and wanted to bounce it off others. I am working with a more experienced "commercial electrician" locally (as i mainly do residential), but wanted to confirm my thought process here.

I am planning on installing 2 sets of 3" conduit from the power company to the CT cabinet (about 25'). In each conduit I will have a set of 4 350mcm (cu).

The water main will be bonded by 2/0 cu. Do I use the same size (2/0) for the ground rods?

thank you for your help, thoughts and comments.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am installing a 600 amp 3 phase 4 wire underground service to a new market. This is what I think I need and wanted to bounce it off others. I am working with a more experienced "commercial electrician" locally (as i mainly do residential), but wanted to confirm my thought process here.

I am planning on installing 2 sets of 3" conduit from the power company to the CT cabinet (about 25'). In each conduit I will have a set of 4 350mcm (cu).

The water main will be bonded by 2/0 cu. Do I use the same size (2/0) for the ground rods?

The GEC connection to a ground rod is never required to be larger then #6. You can use 2/0 if you want to though.

jumper

I did not do the math for the other stuff, but rods only need #6.

250.66(A) Connections to Rod, Pipe, or Plate Electrodes.
Where the grounding electrode conductor is connected to
rod, pipe, or plate electrodes as permitted in 250.52(A)(5)
or (A)(7), that portion of the conductor that is the sole connection
to the grounding electrode shall not be required to be
larger than 6 AWG copper wire or 4 AWG aluminum wire.

bhh

thanks

thanks

Thank you for the info for the grounding. Any thoughts on the conduit size?

Bhh

Status
Not open for further replies.